Red Hat Is Hiring So Linux Can Finally Have Good HDR Display Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mroche View Post

Now this, THIS, is a magnificent piece of... I don't know what the heck. I appreciate you trying to disprove my own real-life work experience as a film industry Linux sysadmin with delusion. I was literally explaining to you how the industry extends far beyond NLE editors which you seemed to be basing your entire initial rebuttal on.

Examples for you to ponder (as these are studios I had direct relations with):
    *Pixar:
    - Render farm nodes run RHEL
    - Workstations are vSphere VDI over Teradici PCoIP running RHEL (using MATE, some of us in systems used GNOME).
    * WDAS (same as above, not sure if using vSphere or something else and which DE they settled on).
    * Blue Sky
    - Render farm on CentOS
    - Desk-side workstations running CentOS (using Cinnamon, formerly XFCE).

Every studio I've mentioned so far in my prior comment, that others have mentioned, and more also use Linux as their primary pipeline desktop OS.

Thank you for making my night with this. Have a great weekend.

Cheers,
    Mike
    I wonder if a simple Google search turns up anything that proves you are either a liar or working in something other than the film industry?

Let's give it a shot:

This week (June 10-14, 2013) marked the annual Apple World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) where the company informs…

Recommended PC hardware for RenderMan, Pixar's core rendering technology. It's goal is to meet the ever-increasing challenges of 3D animation and visual effects.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pixa...e-films-2014-1 <-- You need to register to read this

From Pixar's website:

It looks like Pixar's Renderman runs on all 3 major OSes.

Now is it possible that you actually do work in some aspect of the industry and that portion uses RHEL? Sure.

But I can find significant evidence that vast portions of the film industry use OSX and Windows, especially the NLE aspect, which is greater than the VFX aspect.

Thanks for playing.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

So, the dishonesty and misrepresentation continues.
      sophisticles

Dude, you've been here since 2015. Don't you know that lying and misrepresentation here to artificially inflate Linux's numbers and importance is a mandatory requirements in Phoronix? With the exception of a few, every other person outright lies through their teeth to make Linux look and sound more important and usable than it really is.

Look at all the posts about Linux's shitass percentage on Steam. Every time it falls to < 1%:
      "ZOMG THE POLL IS BROKEN LINUX HAS MORE THAN THAT LINUX IS DA BEST GAMING PLATFORM EVER THIS IS ANTI-LINUX PROPAGANDA"

And when it occasionally spikes:
      "OMG LINUX NUMBA ONE WINDOWS IS FINISHED WE WILL TAKE OVER AND DESTROY WINDOWS!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        With the exception of a few, every other person outright lies through their teeth to make Linux look and sound more important and usable than it really is.
        You're misconstruing the size of a vocal minority.

And I say that without really having a dog in this fight. I use Linux for pragmatic reasons. When a better alternative exists (and it's only a matter of time), I'll switch without much reluctance.

You probably underestimate the number of us who are realistic about Linux' shortcomings.

Look at all the posts about Linux's shitass percentage on Steam.
        And what percentage of this forum's users do you really think even read such threads?
        Last edited by coder; 18 September 2021, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          I use Linux for pragmatic reasons. When a better alternative exists (and it's only a matter of time), I'll switch without much reluctance.
          And what will that be? Windows? macOS? Fuchsia? FreeBSD (i sure hope not)?

You probably underestimate the number of us who are realistic about Linux' shortcomings.
          I said With the exception of a few.

Comment

And what will that be? Windows? macOS? Fuchsia? FreeBSD (i sure hope not)?
            Openness, maturity, and good hardware support seem like important characteristics. I can't say what will be the differentiating factor, because that day will be years in the future and my statement was as much a prediction about the evolution of Linux (or lack thereof) as about the emergence of a more compelling alternative.

BTW, I didn't mind Windows 7 for running office apps and stuff, but when my employer finally upgraded us to Windows 10, I was thoroughly unimpressed. Since I don't run it at home, I can't say whether most of the issues were the core OS or just how they deployed it, but it was the slowest and most unstable Windows I ever experienced since probably Windows 3.1. Granted, I skipped Win 98, ME, Vista, and 8. And I never upgraded until there were a couple Service Packs released, either. AFAICT, Microsoft hardly gives a shit about Windows, anymore. I think they mainly just see it as a way to rope in customers for their cloud services.

I said With the exception of a few.
            And I think that's an underestimate. Perhaps Michael could shed some light onto the matter, with a little survey.

Comment

Openness, maturity, and good hardware support seem like important characteristics. I can't say what will be the differentiating factor, because that day will be years in the future and my statement was as much a prediction about the evolution of Linux (or lack thereof) as about the emergence of a more compelling alternative.

BTW, I didn't mind Windows 7 for running office apps and stuff, but when my employer finally upgraded us to Windows 10, I was thoroughly unimpressed. Since I don't run it at home, I can't say whether most of the issues were the core OS or just how they deployed it, but it was the slowest and most unstable Windows I ever experienced since probably Windows 3.1. Granted, I skipped Win 98, ME, Vista, and 8. And I never upgraded until there were a couple Service Packs released, either. AFAICT, Microsoft hardly gives a shit about Windows, anymore. I think they mainly just see it as a way to rope in customers for their cloud services.

And I think that's an underestimate. Perhaps Michael could shed some light onto the matter, with a little survey.
              I like Windows 10. It hardly felt slow on an Apollo Lake Atom x7-E3950 processor. If anything, Windows 10 was more responsive on that system compared to Gnome Wayland and Plasma Wayland on Debian 10 and 11.

And it's a fact that most organizations have crappy Windows deployments. During the days of Windows 7, a business outsourced their IT support to my employer and we had to assist them for a Windows 7 rollout over SCCM. I don't know if the image they used was broken or not, but it was the worst performing Windows 7 installation I ever had the misfortune of using. Windows would start with broken display drivers and then switch the desktop back to the Windows 7 Basic theme, launching stuff like Internet Explorer and Chrome were dead slow, startup and shutdown times were plain bad, etc.

Wherever there was an opportunity, i bypassed their SCCM infrastructure and used retail Windows DVDs to perform the install, then loaded their volume license product key to activate it and hunted down the individual drivers. Needless to say, those computers installed with the retail image were way more performant and reliable than the SCCM image.
              Last edited by Sonadow; 18 September 2021, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I like Windows 10. It hardly felt slow on an Apollo Lake Atom x7-E3950 processor. If anything, Windows 10 was more responsive on that system compared to Gnome Wayland and Plasma Wayland on Debian 10 and 11.
                Data point noted.

I'm glad you fared better that I have, because I wouldn't wish this user experience on anyone. I know my employer has at least 3 different flavors of security software running on it, but I still blame the core OS for any actual instability, even if parts of it are being subject to an unusual degree of stress. The bluescreens got so bad, at times, that I started keeping a speadsheet to try and detect patterns across machines, different updates, and different usage patterns. That was after running various hardware diags and making sure my drivers were all up-to-date.

Comment

Data point noted.

I'm glad you fared better that I have, because I wouldn't wish this user experience on anyone. I know my employer has at least 3 different flavors of security software running on it, but I still blame the core OS for any actual instability, even if parts of it are being subject to an unusual degree of stress. The bluescreens got so bad, at times, that I started keeping a speadsheet to try and detect patterns across machines, different updates, and different usage patterns. That was after running various hardware diags and making sure my drivers were all up-to-date.
                  And that's why it's always worth the effort to try and bargain for a BYOD arrangement where possible.

The company's IT support crew may be competent but that competency is completely pointless if the original Windows image used for deployment is already terrible. I know for a fact that my clean Windows installations will always be superior to any mass deployed image.

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post
                    Now this, THIS, is a magnificent piece of... I don't know what the heck. But I appreciate you trying to disprove my own real-life work experience as a film industry Linux sysadmin with delusion...
                    Yes, that was hilarious 😂. But sophisticles would never let actual facts get in his way. He's like a flat earther. He's made up his mind but don't have any actual real life experience to prove his point, just opinions. And since his opinion is that Windows is "The Greatest Operating System Ever Created In The Universe" and certainly must be used on the desktop everywhere in all industry segments, it's impossible to prove to him he's wrong. Even if you took him physically to those studios you mention and sat him down right in front of Linux desktops used, he would still claim it was Windows or MacOS or perhaps that you just temporarily installed Linux on it. But his comments sure make for a good laugh. I will keep that one for future reference, because it was a real gem. ​​
                    Last edited by tomas; 19 September 2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

So, the dishonesty and misrepresentation continues.
                      But since you arbitrarily defined "studios" in the manner you did and since you mentioned Pixar, let's see what a Pixar scientist has to say:
                      and scientist says "we have large linux server farm"
                      So Pixar does not use Linux based desktops, they use a supercomputer that is one of the 25 largest in the world.
                      did you skip math classes in school? they do use supercomputer, but you provided zero evidence that they do not use linux desktops, desktops aren't mutually exclusive with servers.

and this is followed with page of garbage which still contains zero evidence to back your claim. hanlon's razor says you aren't dishonest

Comment

Working...
                      X