Firefox 92 Beta Takes Flight With AVIF Image Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
    Google is also one of the developers behind AV1 of which some compression mode of AVIF are a derivative.
    AVIF is not a derivative - it is AV1 "still image profile" (It uses an AV1 encoder) put into the HEIF container.

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
    Google is only responsible for the (VP9-derivated) compression modes of webp,....
    VP8

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
      WebP2 is a much better option than AVIF. Not only it has a ton of features required for Web and design it also currently compresses better:
      WebP2 is a completely new format, so it will still need to gain browser support and It is currently still in development and not finalized. AVIF and JPEG XL have such a head start, that it will be hard for WebP2 to gain any traction at all, even if it would be finalized today.

Comment

I look forward to the complete adoption of at least one standard. Things right now aren't too bad with people using PNG for images with quality they care about, and JPEG for everything else. But it would be nice to just reunite everything under one format that can do it all.

Hopefully JPEG XL or AVIF or whatever actually becomes pervasive unlike WebP. WebP support is still spotty at best, and it's annoying to deal with locally as many software packages still do not support it. I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but not even Google has fully embraced WebP. The entire Google Suite does not support WebP, and Google still primarily uses PNG throughout their sites.

Comment

WebP2 improvements:
          • more efficient lossy compression (~30% better than WebP, as close to AVIF as possible)
          • better visual degradation at very low bitrate
          • improved lossless compression (AVIF is currently worse than WebP)
          • improved transparency compression
          • animation support (nothing in AVIF)
          • ultra-light previews (nothing in AVIF)
          • lightweight incremental decoding (nothing in AVIF)
          • small container overhead, tailored specifically for image compression
          • full 10bit architecture (HDR10)
          • strong focus on software implementation, fully multi-threaded (poor in AVIF)
          Google is not really working on optimizing AV1 for images while they are pouring a ton of effort into WebP2.
          Is it better than jxl? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

Is it better than jxl? I don't think so.

Yeah, JPEGXL looks much better.

Comment

Erm, what? Google doesn't seem to know about that:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Stev...&tbm=isch&sa=X
              You didn't search well enough, there's even a video on the matter: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Agreed.

True. Right-click menu doesn't list Gimp as an open-with target despite GIMP supporting it, you have to launch GIMP manually and then open the image from the File->Open menu. And IIRC my image viewer doesn't support WebP yet.
                Dolphin shows gimp as an option for webp files for me, and most file managers let you manually add programs for the open with menu.
                And as far as image viewers go, at least gwenview has supported it for some time now.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                  I don't expect the AVIF image format to go anywhere, since Apple refuses to support it (Safari). Who would build a website entirely with AVIF images, and not work on Apple devices? nobody...

Webp is being used by several websites, but mostly annoy users who want to save something locally.
                  Ah Pr0n.

Comment

Webp didn't take off because its a highly mediocre file format. in terms of lossless its pretty damn good. but most people don't want lossless, they want lossy that looks close enough, and webp is mediocre for this. lossy encoding is done via vp8, so it was just kind of mediocre all around.

avif fairs a better chance, lossless is dookie to be sure. but for lossy it is fairly decent. pair that with the fact that most browsers are working towards av1 support, most of the ground work for avif is already done interms of implementing it.

whether or not people actually use it however is another story

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                      Webp didn't take off because its a highly mediocre file format. in terms of lossless its pretty damn good. but most people don't want lossless, they want lossy that looks close enough, and webp is mediocre for this. lossy encoding is done via vp8, so it was just kind of mediocre all around.

avif fairs a better chance, lossless is dookie to be sure. but for lossy it is fairly decent. pair that with the fact that most browsers are working towards av1 support, most of the ground work for avif is already done interms of implementing it.

whether or not people actually use it however is another story
                      I've recompressed 24MP JPEG photos made by my camera to around 40% of their size with zero perceivable quality loss and I'm not sure how Webp can be considered useless after that.

Comment

Working...
                      X