Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 92 Beta Takes Flight With AVIF Image Support

Phoronix: Firefox 92 Beta Takes Flight With AVIF Image Support

With this week's release of Firefox 91, like clockwork the beta for Firefox 92 is now available to facilitate wider testing of this next browser release to debut in September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will be interesting to see if this actually gets some traction unlike webp.

Comment

Hopefully some wise heads will prevail at Mozilla and someone with half a braincell will introduce a simpler and easier method for dealing with the the ridiculous spacing in menus that were introduced with photon rather than having to use userChrome.css. It's doubled the length of my bookmark tab menus and just wastes screen space, not well thought out IMHO.

Comment

First class Wayland and WebRender support should by number #1 priority, followed by faster JS JIT.

Comment

I don't expect the AVIF image format to go anywhere, since Apple refuses to support it (Safari). Who would build a website entirely with AVIF images, and not work on Apple devices? nobody...

Webp is being used by several websites, but mostly annoy users who want to save something locally.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
            I don't expect the AVIF image format to go anywhere, since Apple refuses to support it (Safari). Who would build a website entirely with AVIF images, and not work on Apple devices? nobody...

Webp is being used by several websites, but mostly annoy users who want to save something locally.
            Safari is the new IE. It sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
              Will be interesting to see if this actually gets some traction unlike webp.
              WebP is moderately successful, I used it on GitHub for showing screenshots, on a social media website to post pics.. (not pics of old Steve Ballmer's saggy breast you pervs)

Comment

There could be extensions to make it support AVIF?

Annoy? why?

Comment

Well... the average user won't care or bother to install an extension. Maybe tech-savvy people will look for such an extension? Still the largest percentage won't have it unless Apple gave it to them by default.

About webp, I hear a lot of complaints from people who copy something locally, only to discover that webp is not supported by their image viewer. Nothing major really, but these complaints come quite regularly.

Comment

Well... the average user won't care or bother to install an extension. Maybe tech-savvy people will look for such an extension? Still the largest percentage won't have it unless Apple gave it to them by default.
                    Agreed.

About webp, I hear a lot of complaints from people who copy something locally, only to discover that webp is not supported by their image viewer. Nothing major really, but these complaints come quite regularly.
                    True. Right-click menu doesn't list Gimp as an open-with target despite GIMP supporting it, you have to launch GIMP manually and then open the image from the File->Open menu. And IIRC my image viewer doesn't support WebP yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X