Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
    Ktorrent 3.2 is mostly ok.
    "Mostly ok?" I like it even better than μTorrent!

Comment

I won't lie, I'm still using 3.5 mostly, but I actually keep building and playing with trunk mostly because watching it as it evolves, even if I don't have the time to actively participate, is fascinating. Also, I love Okular, Kate, and the more powerful Konqueror browser. I figure once Amarok 2.1 hits, I'm moving to using the 4.3 stabilisation branch on my machines.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Amarok 2 still has a long way to go compared to Amarok 1.4 functionality and K3B still doesn't have a QT4 port. Those two apps and kaffiene (dragon player sucks donkey balls) make me stick with 3.5 until proper ports are in place.the QT4 version of Ktorrent on the other hand is by far the finest torrent client available in linux IMHO.

Maybe you should try SMPlayer - great Mplayer fronted written in QT4 and far more user friendly. It can easily compete with players available on Windows.

@RealNC

"Mostly ok?" I like it even better than μTorrent!
        Yeah, KTorrent is the best in my opinion. I don't like uTorrent, because it's closed and don't support IP blocklist filters. Deluge is also great.
        Last edited by kraftman; 04 April 2009, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Maybe you should try SMPlayer - great Mplayer fronted written in QT4 and far more user friendly. It can easily compete with players available on Windows.

@RealNC

Yeah, KTorrent is the best in my opinion. I don't like uTorrent, because it's closed and don't support IP blocklist filters. Deluge is also great.
          Yep on both counts . SMplayer is great, and ktorrent starts up a lot quicker than utorrent here - pretty much instantaneous.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Ya I know about smplayer, used it on and off over the years, I keep going back to kaffeine though. It's just better integrated with KDE then the others (ie ir remote support) but I mostly use it for windowed playback. When I'm in the mood for some heavy fullscreen watching though I usually fire up XBMC nowdays with it's awesome vdpau support.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
              I use Synaptic under KDE ... there are tricks to make it look nice and not download half of gnome with it ...

just apt-get it like that :

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends synaptic

and to fix the look :

sudo mv ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 /root/.gtkrc-2.
              nice tip. thanks

Comment

A little off topic, maybe, but what's the use of a front end for mplayer anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                  A little off topic, maybe, but what's the use of a front end for mplayer anyway?
                  lol. Sorry, but that gotta be one of the most stupid questions I ever heard

Edit:
                  This is why MPlayer needs front-ends:

Last edited by RealNC; 04 April 2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    lol. Sorry, but that gotta be one of the most stupid questions I ever heard

Edit:
                    This is why MPlayer needs front-ends:
                    "Ignorant," I could accept, but "stupid..." That's a bit harsh, man. I asked because I didn't know. I didn't know because every user has different requirements of their hardware and software-- I personally have no real need for any more than the keyboard hotkeys.

The screencaps are a bit more helpful, though. So it's mostly about a GUI to manage config settings more easily, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                      So it's mostly about a GUI to manage config settings more easily, then?
                      Aside from that Smplayer GUI is the most userfriendly one out of all players I tried and it beats many of windows only players too ... It justs has all the options where I would expect them to be. It's a joy to use

The crucial part is also that it goes even further and adds options that mplayer doesn't have ... One of such options is remembering the track position so when you close the file and open it up again you start at the same point where you ended. Considering that mplayer engine structure is constructed in a way that requires file restart whenever change in crucial play settings occurs (for example turning On/Off when playing a file) then this Smplayer ability is really a killer feature.
                      Last edited by val-gaav; 05 April 2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X