• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• val-gaav
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Needs vdpau support.
    maybe if you have new nvidia card , quite frankly I don't own one so I don't care about it.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    It's a front-end :P If MPlayer has vdpau, then SMPlayer has it too automatically.
    Last time I checked there was still issues with it when used with smplayer (could be just mplayer though) with falling back to software if vdpau can't do the decoding.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Needs vdpau support.
    It's a front-end :P If MPlayer has vdpau, then SMPlayer has it too automatically.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
    Aside from that Smplayer GUI is the most userfriendly one out of all players I tried and it beats many of windows only players too ... It justs has all the options where I would expect them to be. It's a joy to use

The crucial part is also that it goes even further and adds options that mplayer doesn't have ... One of such options is remembering the track position so when you close the file and open it up again you start at the same point where you ended. Considering that mplayer engine structure is constructed in a way that requires file restart whenever change in crucial play settings occurs (for example turning On/Off when playing a file) then this Smplayer ability is really a killer feature.

Needs vdpau support.

Leave a comment:

• val-gaav
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
    So it's mostly about a GUI to manage config settings more easily, then?
    Aside from that Smplayer GUI is the most userfriendly one out of all players I tried and it beats many of windows only players too ... It justs has all the options where I would expect them to be. It's a joy to use

The crucial part is also that it goes even further and adds options that mplayer doesn't have ... One of such options is remembering the track position so when you close the file and open it up again you start at the same point where you ended. Considering that mplayer engine structure is constructed in a way that requires file restart whenever change in crucial play settings occurs (for example turning On/Off when playing a file) then this Smplayer ability is really a killer feature.
    Last edited by val-gaav; 05 April 2009, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    lol. Sorry, but that gotta be one of the most stupid questions I ever heard

Edit:
    This is why MPlayer needs front-ends:
    "Ignorant," I could accept, but "stupid..." That's a bit harsh, man. I asked because I didn't know. I didn't know because every user has different requirements of their hardware and software-- I personally have no real need for any more than the keyboard hotkeys.

The screencaps are a bit more helpful, though. So it's mostly about a GUI to manage config settings more easily, then?

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
    A little off topic, maybe, but what's the use of a front end for mplayer anyway?
    lol. Sorry, but that gotta be one of the most stupid questions I ever heard

Edit:
    This is why MPlayer needs front-ends:

Last edited by RealNC; 04 April 2009, 10:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt
    replied
    A little off topic, maybe, but what's the use of a front end for mplayer anyway?

Leave a comment:

• kxmas
    replied
    Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
    I use Synaptic under KDE ... there are tricks to make it look nice and not download half of gnome with it ...

just apt-get it like that :

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends synaptic

and to fix the look :

sudo mv ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 /root/.gtkrc-2.
    nice tip. thanks

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Maybe you should try SMPlayer - great Mplayer fronted written in QT4 and far more user friendly. It can easily compete with players available on Windows.
    Ya I know about smplayer, used it on and off over the years, I keep going back to kaffeine though. It's just better integrated with KDE then the others (ie ir remote support) but I mostly use it for windowed playback. When I'm in the mood for some heavy fullscreen watching though I usually fire up XBMC nowdays with it's awesome vdpau support.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X