Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.26 Released With Better Bluetooth Support, Up To 64 Channel Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been using pipewire on arch for a few months and absolutely no issues. ill never use plain pulseaudio again. unless you have some niche audio setup i don't see a reason not to use it.

Comment

It's still problems with KDE integration.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I wonder why Debian and Ubuntu doesn't use it ?
        lol those reasons are a good start
        Don't expect much and seldom disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
          It's still problems with KDE integration.
          Nice, who cares? KDE sure is able to fix their own stuff.

Comment

If it works so well for Fedora and the like, I wonder why Debian and Ubuntu doesn't use it ?
            pipewire has been in Debian (even stable) for a quite some time: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pipewire
            Some users here reported they are running a pipewire-only Debian system without problems (link), so it is possible.

Maybe Debian is a bit more conservative to give things time to shake out the biggest oddities.
            Personally I am running Debian unstable, which is, after stable and testing, and before experimental, the most up-to-date Debian release and problems are officially not unheard of. Well, I never had any (non-minor) problems whatsoever, so they are doing their stuff quite well.

STABLE
            |- stable (currently "buster", gets mainly only security updates, soon "bullseye")
            |- testing (currently "bullseye", staging area for the next stable release)
            |- unstable (always "sid", rolling release, packages get promoted to testing)
            |- experimental (which is just a partial increment to sid to check packages and integration)
            EXPERIMENTAL
            Last edited by reba; 23 April 2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
              unless you have some niche audio setup i don't see a reason not to use it.
              You can't use it if you need echo cancellation, unfortunately.

By the way, do someone know how am I supposed to run pipewire from the build directory in F34? I can't manage to get it working: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...60#note_886932
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I've been using PipeWire for some time now, and they support Bluetooth HFP without a mess of oFono and PulseAudio patches, which is nice; I have a much higher quality experience when I videoconference now.

I'd be lying if I said it was entirely painless, though; there absolutely were growing pains with lower versions (outputs switching order for no reason, Bluetooth HSP/HFP disappearing entirely for certain devices on certain versions, and so on), but the last 2 or 3 releases have been relatively flawless.
                Last edited by Gobelet; 23 April 2021, 05:31 AM. Reason: Added some anecdotal experience

Comment

If it works so well for Fedora and the like, I wonder why Debian and Ubuntu doesn't use it ?
                  The upcoming Fedora 34 is the first mainstream distro that uses Pipewire by default. And Fedora tends to be the first to deploy new tech, so this is expected. Just give it time; if Pipewire lives up to its promises, I'm sure Debian and Ubuntu will eventually move over as well.

Comment

Isn't Ubuntu still developing their Native Interactive Hearing sound system? I just recently saw a commit in their Bzr repo with full Upstart integration.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post

The upcoming Fedora 34 is the first mainstream distro that uses Pipewire by default. And Fedora tends to be the first to deploy new Red Hat led tech,
                      Adapted.

Comment

Working...
                      X