Firefox 89 Beta Released With UI Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Left Alt button to toggle a menu bar. You're welcome.
    Right Alt as well. lol

Comment

My initial impression is that I like it, but I'll wait until it is released to be certain.

Comment

Another day, another garbage-tier UI rework from Mozilla.

"Hey, you know what monitors don't have? Vertical space. Let's waste as much of that as possible, so we can animate TEH AWSUM BAR!", etc.

ffs, this REALLY needs to stop. Firefox is the only browser saving us from a monoculture, but apparently all of Google's funding to Mozilla comes with a directive of "Make it as bad as possible with every new release so Chrome can get that last 10% of market share"...

At this point, I think any claims of Mozilla having just "lost the plot a bit" have long since gone from optimistic to naive to disingenuous. (Especially if you look at FF Mobile). This is deliberate sabotage aiming for death by a thousand cuts, plain and simple.

Comment

Thanks I am going to update and check it. which type of UI is changed.

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that since FF uses CSS to define the UI, you have pretty much unlimited customization available.
            CustomCSSforFx is a really straightforward to use bundle of common/legacy style settings (sort of a replacement for the defunct ClassicThemeRestorer extension). It does take a lot of testing to find the combination of settings that you like best.
            And of course there is always r/FirefoxCSS if you want to dive deeper.
            Below is an example of what I do with CustomCSSforFx. The thing under the hamburger menu is Panorama View tab groups extension.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
              Another day, another garbage-tier UI rework from Mozilla.

"Hey, you know what monitors don't have? Vertical space. Let's waste as much of that as possible, so we can animate TEH AWSUM BAR!", etc.

ffs, this REALLY needs to stop. Firefox is the only browser saving us from a monoculture, but apparently all of Google's funding to Mozilla comes with a directive of "Make it as bad as possible with every new release so Chrome can get that last 10% of market share"...

At this point, I think any claims of Mozilla having just "lost the plot a bit" have long since gone from optimistic to naive to disingenuous. (Especially if you look at FF Mobile). This is deliberate sabotage aiming for death by a thousand cuts, plain and simple.
              I beg to differ.
              I've actually been using Firefox on Android for about a year. Before that, it was unusable, now there's a few issues (especially commenting in forums is generally a bad experience) and the lack of easy tab closing is problematic (they pile up quickly) but it works great overall.
              Chrome, on the other hand is becoming a huge bug altogether. It's breaking from everywhere on mobile. Don't know how they managed to destroy it that way. It barely holds together these days. Firefox has undeniably reversed the tide there.

On computers, some menus and features in Firefox are gone, sure, and I understand how that might have affected some people using these menus and features. Especially when there's no workaround or hidden (about:config) tweak.
              But overall, with some about:config and some userchrome.css, I can do many many things to the UI and my workflow.
              If only just getting tabs back below the URLbar, removing the zoom on the omnibox when focused, reaching for a bookmark/favorite button (for god's sake, Chrome, even Edge has one), stopping videos from autoplaying (Chrome, please, muting them is an irritating workaround, not a solution), or integrating well with the Unite extension in Gnome or Pixel Saver Applet in Budgie. In any case, with some CSS tinkering (height of toolbars) and the Unite extension, it beats Chrome far and wide on the vertical side. Maybe not by default though. But then, Chrome only has a favorite bar, so if you want quick access, you're doomed to vertical waste.

It's still possible to use Firefox almost in the same way as during Firefox 2-3 days. It's a cozy upper-mid segment customizable car. Chrome has a plane engine but is entry level on every other aspect and you can't do anything with it, except going fast.

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonk View Post
                  I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that since FF uses CSS to define the UI, you have pretty much unlimited customization available.
                  CustomCSSforFx is a really straightforward to use bundle of common/legacy style settings (sort of a replacement for the defunct ClassicThemeRestorer extension).
                  Thanks for the link! For me, real_compact_mode.css paired with Firefox Color made most annoyances go. Now I just need to find out how to add visual separators between tabs.

Comment

Too much reliance on Mozilla Corporation and Alphabet money

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      stopping videos from autoplaying (Chrome, please, muting them is an irritating workaround, not a solution)
                      If they didn't autoplay, Google wouldn't be able to charge for the ad impressions. Duh.

I'dd add a "sarcasm" tag - but it isn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X