Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter 40 Beta Released With Wayland Improvements, Overview Redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    Ah yes, Birdie still telling the same old telltales. That only effects gnome as its compositor is a plugin to the shell so it goes down with the shell. KDE (rare moment here) already gracefully recovers, other compositors too. But you know that and no one here is pretending that you don't.
    i monitored birdie posts for a long time and it is always the same: he use the nvidia closed source driver and if something does not work well with nvidia then for him the problem is not Nvidia no no no its wayland or KDE or gnome what is the problem
    even if you tell him that the same thing works for AMD hardware.

so whatever birdie tells is always: Nvidia hardware problem...
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      I'd like to see a video where someone is running a Wayland session and does `kill -9 compositor_PID`. Please do. Unlike stoic open source fan-atics which push their agenda even it's flawed (e.g. Linux is "perfect") I'm open to facts and evidence. So, please, do me a favour and correct what I've been wrong about.
      Also, I'd like a video of XFCE/IceWM running and being 100% usable under Wayland.
      go buy AMD hardware. then you see the different. whatever Nvidia does or not does really no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I'd like to see a video where someone is running a Wayland session and does `kill -9 compositor_PID`. Please do. Unlike stoic open source fan-atics which push their agenda even it's flawed (e.g. Linux is "perfect") I'm open to facts and evidence. So, please, do me a favour and correct what I've been wrong about.
        Their videos would be like this:

- Yeah, look how amazing wayland is and look how great it works, I don't understand the people saying it's not ready yet
        - So, how do you do thing1?
        - I'll show you... Oh weird, it works usually, don't know what happened. It's probably because I installed app1 yesterday.
        - OK, no worries, but I can't see very well from here (1m corona safe distance), can you hook it to the monitor here?
        - Sure
        - Oh, why are there no title bars in this maximized app on the external monitor?
        - Mmmhhh, don't know, I hadn't seen that issue before.

They have the single version of the truth (of their cult) and need to push it forward as gospel truth, and end up denying reality.
        They either cope with issues, not even notice them (unconsciously) or just have basic workflows, but the moment they need to do something different (as will occur with more mainstream users), it breaks. But they will sit on it because it doesn't fit their agenda and then go and be aggressive on forums towards people explaining and filing these issues because they put sand grains in the cogs of the very thing they've been advocating blindfold for a while. It works for them so it HAS to work for everyone, without any compromise on missing stuff. No patience. Must be sprayed on everyone. Must be default. Us willing.

They might also be paid trolls by some companies driving these changes to influence the weak-minded. A bit like russian spies. It looks more and more like it actually. You can't just be that naive and nod as a halfwit to everything you're given. There has to be a catch.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

i monitored birdie posts for a long time and it is always the same: he use the nvidia closed source driver and if something does not work well with nvidia then for him the problem is not Nvidia no no no its wayland or KDE or gnome what is the problem
          even if you tell him that the same thing works for AMD hardware.

so whatever birdie tells is always: Nvidia hardware problem...
          This is complete and utter BS but there will be no quotes, so my ignore list will grow by a new member now. I guess your whole world view will come crashing down if I tell you that I'm typing this message on a laptop which doesn't contain anything developed or touched by NVIDIA. Oh, and my desktop PC now has a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU in it and I had Radeon RX 5600 XT for five months but I had to sell it because AMD drivers both open source and proprietary for Windows were subpar. Under Linux I had major issues with suspend/resume (fixed just recently but my patience ran dry) and proper monitoring (still not fixed). Under Windows I had major issues with running D3D 9 games and also the system was quite unstable (black screens and BSODs).
          I don't suck AMD's dick like you and I buy products based only on their quality/features/performance/price. I couldn't care less if they are made by company A or B, that's why I bought the Ryzen 7 3700X CPU because Intel at the time didn't have comparable CPUs. Right now I'm hesitant to buy the Ryzen 5800X because AMD has lost any resemblance of conscience by overcharging for the entire 5000 series.

go buy AMD hardware. then you see the different. whatever Nvidia does or not does really no one cares.
          So, no video, no arguments, nothing. Welcome to my ignore list. AMD or Intel video won't make XFCE/IceWM and dozens of other minor WMs/DEs magically work under Wayland. You must be stupid as hell to believe NVIDIA has anything to do with the fact that Wayland is not really usable outside of Gnome/KDE. I'd be embarrassed to show this level of fanboyism and lack of basic knowledge but I guess you won't be.

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

Their videos would be like this
          Thanks! Nice to see rational people with a brain here.
          Last edited by birdie; 24 February 2021, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Except for gamers and CUDA users.
            Whatever, no one really cares about games and AI...

Comment

Damn, he's more retarded than I thought. I mean, was to be expected from some moron who thinks a tiling WM is good and so decided to code one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Damn, he's more retarded than I thought. I mean, was to be expected from some moron who thinks a tiling WM is good and so decided to code one up.
                He may be a "bit" excentric but regarding all his remarks about the Wayland stuff and people's moanings he's spot-on right.
                Wayland is the future with developer-time and it fixes X11-unfixable things, so it's the only future and extends on X11.

Comment

The switch to horizontal mode is puzzling to me. The distance from the top left hot corner to the favorites at the bottom is vastly bigger than when the favorites were on the left side. Still a beta so maybe it will be possible to configure the location of the favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                    ok i buy the CUDA part... but games? last phoronix benchmarks show that AMD wind ALL benchmarks...

and ALL means really: ALL-.--..

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I am no one.

Comment

Working...
                      X