Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter 40 Beta Released With Wayland Improvements, Overview Redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ONLYDOWNDOGS View Post
    Anywho, as someone who doesn't use GNOME I thought that Wayland support is pretty much nailed down. Is that true and are they just keeping up with the continued Wayland development, or are there any big issues with GNOME on Wayland that still need to be ironed out like KDE?
    You thought correct. I don't know of any big issues remaining with GNOME on Wayland. But I'd rather not say "keeping up with the continued development of Wayland" per se — I'd rather just call it continued development. As in: fixing bugs, improving performance, conducting architectural reworks, and catering to unusual requirements of other apps (through fixing obscure cases and/or implementing optional features and protocols). Although new protocols may be appearing from time to time in Wayland itself, it doesn't happen often.
    Last edited by intelfx; 24 February 2021, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ONLYDOWNDOGS View Post
      Anywho, as someone who doesn't use GNOME I thought that Wayland support is pretty much nailed down. Is that true and are they just keeping up with the continued Wayland development, or are there any big issues with GNOME on Wayland that still need to be ironed out like KDE?
      I've been using Gnome on Wayland for more than a year and I can say it's mostly nailed down, but there are still minor issues that aren't yet on par with X11. Things I can think of:
      - Some issues with drag n drop.
      - External monitors connected to eGPU.
      - Screen sharing is still lacking. This is mostly an issue with the applications not being updated to use Wayland, but I'm not sure if there is any pieces missing in the implementation itself on Gnome's side.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Sorry to crap on this parade but when will the stream of "X, Y, Z has improved support for Wayland" end? I thought at least Gnome/Mutter has supported Wayland perfectly for at least a couple of years now. When was the last time you read, "Something has improved support for X.org"? I don't remember such news pieces at all actually.
        moron, the only wayland mentioned in article is xwayland, which is x11 server. and improvement was "don't run it unconditionally, run it only when user runs x11 app". which means now enough users aren't using x11 apps at all. sorry that wayland crapped into your pants again

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          birdie:
          also birdie troll
          what a f*cking moron
          yes this man is a Nvidia troll... just ignore him.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            The correct approach would be to acknowledge and address the huge list of issues without the kind of arrogance or bigotism
            ok, how many x11 issues you've acknowledged and addresed without arrogance or bigotism?
            Until then, we'll have to mention wayland improvements, as they are much needed to reach parity for everyone
            to reach parity with wayland x11 needs many improvements which it isn't going to get

Comment

This "advantage" also means you cannot create compositor-independent utilities implementing e.g. screen recording or casting.
              That is not true with open source graphics drivers.
              I was having performance issues when streaming livecoding heavy GLSL raymarching and pathtracing shaders, so instead of optimizing my shaders I read about libdrm, KMS, DMA-BUF and EGL. As a result, I made a very experimental zero-copy screen capture OBS plugin for Linux based on DMA-BUF fds and...

This obs experiment using libdrm does not care what wayland compositor or X11 server you have loaded to screen-capture or cast. Yes this experement will libdrm and open source drivers should come possible with closed source Nvidia drivers when Nvidia drivers finally support DMA BUF fully.

If you are wanting to capture a individual window you don't even need that compositor to-do that remember DMA BUF is a file handle you can access a process with enough privileges and get a copy of a file handle.

The reality here birdie is there are a lot compositor neutral tools that can be made. While trolls like you spreading disinformation out there they likely hood of them becoming well developed is low.

Here's another great "advantage": applications running under Wayland compositors are glued to it, so if the compositor crashes, all your apps crash momentarily with it. The funny thing is that it's not the case for X.org, Windows, MacOS where apps will continue to run in case the window manager has stopped working.
              Here you go with another lie. If you build X.org on current eglstreams when the X11 server crashed all the X11 applications would go with it. There is a design flaw in eglstreams.

The reality here is KDE and SWAY compositor do in fact restart while Wayland applications keep on working. Disconnect and reconnect to the compositor is part of libwayland-client this include compositor crash handling where if the compositor restarts quick enough the already running applications just reconnect.

So a well made wayland compositor all you applications don't crash with the compositor in fact even non well made compositor they don't they crash until after the compositor is timed out as gone and not being replaced on the application side. Yes this restarting of wayland compositor or x11 requires you GPU drivers to-do the right things like not killing off buffers it should not so that applications can keep on working to reconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                moron, the only wayland mentioned in article is xwayland, which is x11 server. and improvement was "don't run it unconditionally, run it only when user runs x11 app". which means now enough users aren't using x11 apps at all. sorry that wayland crapped into your pants again
                absolutly right... this full moron is just anti-wayland because his loved nvidia card does handle it like shit.

people like this moron is just poison for the linux community. in fact they are ANTI-FLOSS

who knows the reason he use linux at all... people like this should use windows and be happy with nvidia closed source drivers.

but use linux like this moron is really full stupid mode. if you REALLY want to use linux: BUY AMD HARDWARE

if you want closed source buy nvidia and use windows.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Pointing out actual and factual issues, blocking or not, inconsistencies and design shortcomings is whining?
                  pointing out your misconceptions framed as those is whining
                  Last edited by pal666; 23 February 2021, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Here's another great "advantage": applications running under Wayland compositors are glued to it, so if the compositor crashes, all your apps crash momentarily with it.
                    Ah yes, Birdie still telling the same old telltales. That only effects gnome as its compositor is a plugin to the shell so it goes down with the shell. KDE (rare moment here) already gracefully recovers, other compositors too. But you know that and no one here is pretending that you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Ah yes, Birdie still telling the same old telltales. That only effects gnome as its compositor is a plugin to the shell so it goes down with the shell. KDE (rare moment here) already gracefully recovers, other compositors too. But you know that and no one here is pretending that you don't.
                      I'd like to see a video where someone is running a Wayland session and does `kill -9 compositor_PID`. Please do. Unlike stoic open source fan-atics which push their agenda even it's flawed (e.g. Linux is "perfect") I'm open to facts and evidence. So, please, do me a favour and correct what I've been wrong about.

Also, I'd like a video of XFCE/IceWM running and being 100% usable under Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X