No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.22 Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polarathene they just reopen it. it never occur to me that people mostly have 5.1 so probably devs never test it with 7.1. now after you mention this i've wrote my issue again and mention the 7.1 so they reopen it.
    thank you for mentioning the chances of 7.1 system

Comment

Mez' Also you: “Any flaws in my logic are your fault.”

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        polarathene they just reopen it. it never occur to me that people mostly have 5.1 so probably devs never test it with 7.1. now after you mention this i've wrote my issue again and mention the 7.1 so they reopen it.
        thank you for mentioning the chances of 7.1 system
        Yea, 5.1 is more common as I think the legacy spdif/toslink devices can only receive lossy 5.1. The AVR might "emulate" 7.1 in some DSP room mode. Modern AVRs with HDMI 2.x support a lot more channels though. I think 11.2 is already quite common.

Comment

/sarcasm mode on
          is it just me, or does it appear, that though the developer has funding to code sound driver, wasn't funded to buy sound hardware to test it with . . . maybe michael has some spare sound cards lying around. (I bet they didn't even know they could buy one of those, the probably think a sound card is that thing that comes with the motherboard.

/sarcasm mode off

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            it's pretty seamless overall. Nothing like wayland.
            could it have something to do with the fact that wayland is new protocol requiring every application change while pipewire is new implementation of same protocol(s) requiring no application changes?

Comment

Interesting. How does one switch to Pipewire? Does it depend on a specific desktop environment? What about desktop environments that require PulseAudio? Does PulseAudio need to be uninstalled or disabled first?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Well, Pulseaudio was as well, wasn't it?
                no, it was developed by non-redhat employee

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80 View Post
                  /sarcasm mode on
                  is it just me, or does it appear, that though the developer has funding to code sound driver, wasn't funded to buy sound hardware to test it with . . . maybe michael has some spare sound cards lying around. (I bet they didn't even know they could buy one of those, the probably think a sound card is that thing that comes with the motherboard.

/sarcasm mode off
                  it's not sound driver. alsa is sound driver. and yes, developer has sound hardware, you can't find computer without one. your sarcasm doesn't look sarcastic at all

Comment

Originally posted by sb56637 View Post
                    Interesting. How does one switch to Pipewire? Does it depend on a specific desktop environment? What about desktop environments that require PulseAudio? Does PulseAudio need to be uninstalled or disabled first?
                    For me on Arch it was just install pipewire + pipewire-pulse (that should uninstall Pulseaudio https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...e#Installation I think that was all maybe restart the Device and
                    "pactl info" should then show -> Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.22)
                    Did only test it with sway and a bit with KDE

Here is a other guide for Gentoo with sway https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...le_using_sway/
                    Last edited by Toggleton; 21 February 2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      it's not sound driver. alsa is sound driver. and yes, developer has sound hardware, you can't find computer without one. your sarcasm doesn't look sarcastic at all
                      Does PipeWire Replace ALSA?
                      No, ALSA is an essential part of the Linux audio stack, it provides the interface to the kernel audio drivers.
                      That said, the ALSA user space library has a lot of stuff in it that is probably not desirable anymore these days, like effects plugins, mixing, routing, slaving, etc.
                      PipeWire uses a small subset of the core alsa functionality to access the hardware (It should run with tinyalsa, for example). All of the other features should be handled by PipeWire.

Well that's a pity.
                      "developer has sound hardware". Yes the motherboard chipsets for this are rather poor with a lot of software going on. So you fell into the trap even though i pointed it at and laughed.
                      I was obviously hinting at the 7.1 bug report where the developer didn't seem to believe you had a computer with 7.1 hardware, seemibly then not understanding you can just plug one in . Hence the sarcasm you never got. Do you get it now? (Hint sarcasm mode on, is a quote from a show.)

Anyway, obviously the developer knows that you can plug in sound hardware. I'm explaining the sarcasm now further, just in case...

I wonder if i should link to the meaning. Even though it was quote . . . . /sarcasm (get it yet?)

Comment

Working...
                      X