PipeWire 0.3.22 Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    polarathene they just reopen it. it never occur to me that people mostly have 5.1 so probably devs never test it with 7.1. now after you mention this i've wrote my issue again and mention the 7.1 so they reopen it.
    thank you for mentioning the chances of 7.1 system
    Yea, 5.1 is more common as I think the legacy spdif/toslink devices can only receive lossy 5.1. The AVR might "emulate" 7.1 in some DSP room mode. Modern AVRs with HDMI 2.x support a lot more channels though. I think 11.2 is already quite common.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      it's pretty seamless overall. Nothing like wayland.
      could it have something to do with the fact that wayland is new protocol requiring every application change while pipewire is new implementation of same protocol(s) requiring no application changes?

Comment

Interesting. How does one switch to Pipewire? Does it depend on a specific desktop environment? What about desktop environments that require PulseAudio? Does PulseAudio need to be uninstalled or disabled first?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          Well, Pulseaudio was as well, wasn't it?
          no, it was developed by non-redhat employee

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
            /sarcasm mode on
            is it just me, or does it appear, that though the developer has funding to code sound driver, wasn't funded to buy sound hardware to test it with . . . maybe michael has some spare sound cards lying around. (I bet they didn't even know they could buy one of those, the probably think a sound card is that thing that comes with the motherboard.

/sarcasm mode off
            it's not sound driver. alsa is sound driver. and yes, developer has sound hardware, you can't find computer without one. your sarcasm doesn't look sarcastic at all

Comment

Originally posted by sb56637 View Post
              Interesting. How does one switch to Pipewire? Does it depend on a specific desktop environment? What about desktop environments that require PulseAudio? Does PulseAudio need to be uninstalled or disabled first?
              For me on Arch it was just install pipewire + pipewire-pulse (that should uninstall Pulseaudio https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...e#Installation I think that was all maybe restart the Device and
              "pactl info" should then show -> Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.22)
              Did only test it with sway and a bit with KDE

Here is a other guide for Gentoo with sway https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...le_using_sway/
              Last edited by Toggleton; 21 February 2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

You can tell Pipewire is a serious project when they implement in a few months stuff that took years for Poettering to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                  You can tell Pipewire is a serious project when they implement in a few months stuff that took years for Poettering to fix.
                  Like what?

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                    Seriously full of bugs probably. With all the sound configurations that exist, would be surprised if it isn't swiss cheese. But like most things from Fedora, they will release it before its polished and well tested. Sadly, it could work better. There's been a lot of audio breakage past years.
                    Last edited by ix900; 21 February 2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

For anyone have problems with headsets not appearing or not having mic functionality you have to play around with disabling hsp_ag or hfp_ag in the .config file

Comment

Working...
                      X