Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manjaro 20.2 Brings Arch-Based Linux 5.9 Experience, GNOME Version Defaults To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    I like Manjaro generally, but its kind of a gateway drug to Arch. The package freezing can be something of a mixed blessing; it's saved me headaches in the past, but it does bring its own joys (as others have said, issues with AUR at times...)

Leave a comment:

• Ironmask
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    Manjaro is why I use FreeBSD now. The AUR really wasn't meant to be used on Manjaro, it was built for Arch so the more AUR packages you use you eventually wind up with a broken system that is unfixable via pacman. With FreeBSD I get a nice solid core and package updates every quarter and FDE is as easy as a checkbox in the ZFS install.
    I'm glad you're happy on FreeBSD, but, did you have to abandon Linux itself because you used a broken distro based off another distro? Why didn't you just use Arch proper or any of it's forks?

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Manjaro is why I use FreeBSD now. The AUR really wasn't meant to be used on Manjaro, it was built for Arch so the more AUR packages you use you eventually wind up with a broken system that is unfixable via pacman. With FreeBSD I get a nice solid core and package updates every quarter and FDE is as easy as a checkbox in the ZFS install.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Once a person gets to a certain point on Manjaro they have to ask themselves if they've outgrown Manjaro and if they're ready to take off the training wheels and move on to Arch; when they transition from user to Power User.
    I'm in that position, Manjaro since late 2016 and I have had my fair share of issues with AUR compatibility over the years as well. I've often used the Arch Wiki and configured things that I don't think I need Manjaro anymore, but I still like the generally hassle free installer vs the manual approach.

On the fence if I should give AcroLinux, EndeavourOS or similar a try as I plan to do a new install soon. Also considering OpenSUSE or Fedora but those both have some concerns (as tempting as their default BTRFS setup might be), one being SELinux/AppArmour I think, and the other AUR (I haven't checked lately, but recall less popular packages not being as widely available on either Fedora or OpenSUSE). I think I'll probably stick with Arch related distros for now.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Hash View Post
    I don't use Linux anymore, but if there's a solid, simple and fun distro to use, you can't go wrong with Manjaro.
    About their only downside and my biggest criticism is when a user starts getting into the AUR and building their own packages. Sometimes, due to how Manjaro package freezes, AUR packages won't be compatible with Manjaro due to Manjaro to not being as up-to-date as Arch. I've had random hiccups with GCC, MinGW, Mesa, and a few others over the past few years on Manjaro. At this point I think Manjaro should consider hosting their own MUR with PKGBUILDs that expect their tools, helpers, package versions, etc.

My other criticisms of Manjaro would be their green themes and MHWD. Theming is like art, all in the eye of the beholder. Since it can be changed, it's just annoying to me and nothing to really complain about aside from these comments. MHDW can get in the way of a power-user. Since it's a noob helper, that's kind of what it is supposed to do which leads me to -- Once a person gets to a certain point on Manjaro they have to ask themselves if they've outgrown Manjaro and if they're ready to take off the training wheels and move on to Arch; when they transition from user to Power User.

That last one is an odd criticism, but it's one I have none-the-less. I wouldn't have it if there was a, and talk about a Catch-22 here, helper to remove their helpers and give us more control over the system -- a way to basically turn it into Arch with the Manjaro repos.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 03 December 2020, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dragonn
    replied
    Manjaro is Arch like Ubuntu is Debian...
    So I would definitely not say that it brings "Arch Based experience".

Leave a comment:

• Hash
    replied
    I don't use Linux anymore, but if there's a solid, simple and fun distro to use, you can't go wrong with Manjaro.

Leave a comment:

• dylanmtaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post
    Multiple monitor support is broken in Gnome Wayland.
    Really? I don't have issues with it.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Multiple monitor support is broken in Gnome Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• HighValueWarrior
    replied
    Never warmed up to Manjaro .... the package freezing and deliberate stasis of certain components always gave me more problems then the ease of installation was worth.
    Archfi for the win.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X