Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manjaro 20.2 Brings Arch-Based Linux 5.9 Experience, GNOME Version Defaults To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro 20.2 Brings Arch-Based Linux 5.9 Experience, GNOME Version Defaults To Wayland

Phoronix: Manjaro 20.2 Brings Arch-Based Linux 5.9 Experience, GNOME Version Defaults To Wayland

Manjaro 20.2 is now available as the latest stable version of this Arch Linux derived distribution focused on providing a pleasant and easy-to-use desktop experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So earlier today I dumped the GNOME version to one USB drive, booted that up, plugged in another USB drive to install it to because I don't really want to run Manjaro and just need an Arch-like desktop to bootstrap a custom Arch from, triple checked that I had the 8mb bios-grub, F2FS for root, grub set to the USB drive, and all that....and the damn thing decided to put GRUB over my Windows 10 bootloader because, well, I don't freaking know. Something with GRUB and F2FS, I think. I actually got a GRUB/F2FS error when I tried to install it to my Linux SSD so that's why I'm thinking that...

Now I'm on the KDE version on my Linux SSD and I gotta flash a Windows 10 ISO to recover my Windows bootloader. Annoying, but at least it's a fixable annoying.

And that's the kind of day I'm having today. Hope y'all are having a better one.

Comment

Also try the more sane EndeavourOS. https://endeavouros.com/

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        So earlier today I dumped the GNOME version to one USB drive, booted that up, plugged in another USB drive to install it to because I don't really want to run Manjaro and just need an Arch-like desktop to bootstrap a custom Arch from, triple checked that I had the 8mb bios-grub, F2FS for root, grub set to the USB drive, and all that....and the damn thing decided to put GRUB over my Windows 10 bootloader because, well, I don't freaking know. Something with GRUB and F2FS, I think. I actually got a GRUB/F2FS error when I tried to install it to my Linux SSD so that's why I'm thinking that...

Now I'm on the KDE version on my Linux SSD and I gotta flash a Windows 10 ISO to recover my Windows bootloader. Annoying, but at least it's a fixable annoying.

And that's the kind of day I'm having today. Hope y'all are having a better one.
        Thats why I like UEFI - you can fix bootloader by just copying one file over another. I even backup UEFI partition after install into separate archive for such occasions.

Comment

Never warmed up to Manjaro .... the package freezing and deliberate stasis of certain components always gave me more problems then the ease of installation was worth.
          Archfi for the win.

Comment

Multiple monitor support is broken in Gnome Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
              Multiple monitor support is broken in Gnome Wayland.
              Really? I don't have issues with it.

Comment

I don't use Linux anymore, but if there's a solid, simple and fun distro to use, you can't go wrong with Manjaro.

Comment

Manjaro is Arch like Ubuntu is Debian...
                  So I would definitely not say that it brings "Arch Based experience".

Comment

Originally posted by Hash View Post
                    I don't use Linux anymore, but if there's a solid, simple and fun distro to use, you can't go wrong with Manjaro.
                    About their only downside and my biggest criticism is when a user starts getting into the AUR and building their own packages. Sometimes, due to how Manjaro package freezes, AUR packages won't be compatible with Manjaro due to Manjaro to not being as up-to-date as Arch. I've had random hiccups with GCC, MinGW, Mesa, and a few others over the past few years on Manjaro. At this point I think Manjaro should consider hosting their own MUR with PKGBUILDs that expect their tools, helpers, package versions, etc.

My other criticisms of Manjaro would be their green themes and MHWD. Theming is like art, all in the eye of the beholder. Since it can be changed, it's just annoying to me and nothing to really complain about aside from these comments. MHDW can get in the way of a power-user. Since it's a noob helper, that's kind of what it is supposed to do which leads me to -- Once a person gets to a certain point on Manjaro they have to ask themselves if they've outgrown Manjaro and if they're ready to take off the training wheels and move on to Arch; when they transition from user to Power User.

That last one is an odd criticism, but it's one I have none-the-less. I wouldn't have it if there was a, and talk about a Catch-22 here, helper to remove their helpers and give us more control over the system -- a way to basically turn it into Arch with the Manjaro repos.
                    Last edited by skeevy420; 03 December 2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X