Xfce 4.16pre1 Released As The First Step Towards This Next Desktop Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post

Exactly! I love that feature in XFCE. Unfortunately, GNOME doesn't seem to have that, which is really crazy in my mind.
    If it’s not Alt, it’s Super, or your distro has it disabled by default. I use this everyday on GNOME, check Tweaks > Windows for the Window Action Key or gsettings to see what you have it set to.

Cheers,
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
      Not a fan of client side decorations or superthick titlebars.... actually the very reason for CSD is the too thick bars that needs to be used for something. The problem is that you end up not having a consistent place to grab onto when you want to move a window.
      Xfce's settings panel is not that bad. it is just a search box up there , but it is a start... soon the entire GUI lives in the titlebar
      I agree...

Why couldn't they go for a macOS-like thing at least? I mean thin titlebars for SSD apps (like before)?

The descriptions underneath the window title im the title bar feel unnecessary... and a waste of space...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Joshua Rollin

Or, more correctly, titlebars should allow you to drag a window without using ALT left-click.
        Every window manager on UNIX since the late 80's has supported this style of window movement. Sorry you missed learning this.

Comment

EDIT: I can't stand 144Hz, CSD and/or GNOME. I'll leave it at that.
          Last edited by DanL; 13 September 2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Does your keyboard not have an ALT key? ALT-leftclick should allow you to drag a window without having any titlebar.
            Sure it does , Alt+LMB is very useful if you are having trouble reaching your window. Following your logic - why would you need a titlebar at all! then?
            A titelbar should be READ ONLY with the exception of the buttons which should all be reasonably standard. CSD cause people to do all kinds of weird and irrational things up there...

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Sure it does , Alt+LMB is very useful if you are having trouble reaching your window. Following your logic - why would you need a titlebar at all! then?
              A titelbar should be READ ONLY with the exception of the buttons which should all be reasonably standard. CSD cause people to do all kinds of weird and irrational things up there...
              I did disable title bars. I've never found them very useful. If I need to minimize, maximize, etc. a window, I can do that from the toolbar that I have autohiding at the top of my screen.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

XFCE is slowly improving to reduce the number of crashes, such as those identifiable by Valgrind, but I agree that XFCE's source code quality isn't perfect. The quality is partially influenced by the fact that C does not have any kind of automatic/semi-automatic memory management like C++ (destructors, type-safe collections, std::shared_ptr). If XFCE would switch from C to C++ (or maybe to some garbage-collected language) it would lower the number of memory leaks and use-after-free bugs.
                The only problem with C++ is, the standard is already over 1600 pages long (not including all extension TRs): https://www.iso.org/standard/68564.html
                The next version will be over 1800 pages https://www.iso.org/standard/79358.html

I wish they'd consider Rust instead.

Comment

So no mention of Wayland?

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  EDIT: I can't stand 144Hz
                  Would like your thoughts, I use XFCE @ 144hz..

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                    So no mention of Wayland?
                    It's not on the roadmap for 4.16. Maybe 4.18..

Would like your thoughts, I use XFCE @ 144hz..
                    I am talking about the account that posts here under that name. (Forgive me if you were joking and I missed it.)

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      It's not on the roadmap for 4.16. Maybe 4.18..

I am talking about the account that posts here under that name. (Forgive me if you were joking and I missed it.)
                      ah, a quick search reveals this guy is unpopular. Lets hope people have a separate opinion on high frame rates in Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X