Xfce 4.16pre1 Released As The First Step Towards This Next Desktop Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.16pre1 Released As The First Step Towards This Next Desktop Update

Phoronix: Xfce 4.16pre1 Released As The First Step Towards This Next Desktop Update

Following the very delayed Xfce 4.14, the Xfce 4.16 release is progressing with plans for releasing this year. Xfce 4.16pre1 was released at the end of August while it was the release announcement that was delayed for this lightweight desktop environment update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not a fan of client side decorations or superthick titlebars.... actually the very reason for CSD is the too thick bars that needs to be used for something. The problem is that you end up not having a consistent place to grab onto when you want to move a window.
    Xfce's settings panel is not that bad. it is just a search box up there , but it is a start... soon the entire GUI lives in the titlebar

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

The most stable and usable Windows manager in Linux.
      KDE and Gnome are crashing like no tomorrow, riddled with bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        Not a fan of client side decorations or superthick titlebars.... actually the very reason for CSD is the too thick bars that needs to be used for something. The problem is that you end up not having a consistent place to grab onto when you want to move a window.
        Xfce's settings panel is not that bad. it is just a search box up there , but it is a start... soon the entire GUI lives in the titlebar
        You may find that grabbbing a GTK "headerbar" by one of its widgets (e.g. a button) lets you drag it around.

Too thick, too thin... it's a themeing problem. I personally find that most GNOME apps save space compared to (mostly) equivalent apps, be them GTK2 or otherwise, that show a useless titlebar, a classic drop-down menu bar, and possibly another bar with buttons and so on. Super easy to demonstrate: put them side by side.
        Then the question becomes whether you like the amount of actions you can perform with the widgets presented on the headerbar.
        Many people have complained about headerbars being too thick in the past, but perhaps the matter has always been what method wins in terms of one-click actions per occupied pixels.
        Then again, another question would be: are too many one-click actions good for the average user, or do they clutter the screen too much?

Comment

I really hate CSD with passion. Switched from xfce to plasma because of it.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
            Not a fan of client side decorations or superthick titlebars....
            Maybe Client Side Decorations ease the future porting/transition to a wayland compositor. But I somehow have stopped beleiving in the feasibility of Wayland anyways. Been slower than X on SoCs even with lightwight compositors like sway, shows how implementations are having a hard time optimizing it. Also for some reason the wayland compositor that was targeted for raspberry pi hardware cease development, maybe its developers figured it was too much work or not worth it.

Desktop developers should just adopt wlroots or libweston and build upon them improving them on the way, like X has been improved over the years. Instead, with wayland everybody is mostly developing their own implementation of the wayland protocol which somehow makes lot of wayland software imcompatible between implementations, like applications that only work on wlroots but not on weston, mutter, kwin, etc. The future looks sad, not brighter.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
              I really hate CSD with passion. Switched from xfce to plasma because of it.

​​​​​
              De gustibus. I'm trying to switch to KDE only because now it has decent GTK+ CSD support.

Comment

If the gnomification trend of Xfce continues, it'll be time to switch to IceWM for me,

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
                  If the gnomification trend of Xfce continues, it'll be time to switch to IceWM for me,
                  If all these weird trends continue at the current pace, the luddites will be back to punching cards in no time. I miss the "old" Xfce...

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
                    I'm using almost two dozen XFCE panel applets, so I'll have to put up with it. IceWM is still just a window manager, while XFCE is a full blown DE.

Comment

Working...
                    X