Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 RC1 Is Out For Testing This Skia+Vulkan Open-Source Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Why the fuck aren't you using Linux instead of a half-unpatched (i.e. vulnerable) OS that is also EOL?

You really are insane.
    I could run that system perfectly safely with a few free tools. You buy into the security panic propaganda too much.

Comment

Will problems with changing UI (user interface) theme (and icon theme) continue?
      I've last Gnome and the black theme looks terrible..

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        I could run that system perfectly safely with a few free tools.
        You could. But you don't, because you are a troll, not a madman.

You buy into the security panic propaganda too much.
        I'm not insane like someone that thinks he can smell spyware with his awesome mind powers and decide what update is good and what is bad. It's all binary and undocumented for chrissake, is the update's description on the website enough to decide? Do we trust the word of the software developer to decide if the software is good or not? What kind of "advanced auditing" is this mad man doing? I doubt he is doing much as he seems unable to just google basic stuff like that update that Libreoffice downloads. WTF?!?!

Let me repeat: the only thing that is sure is that his system is not secure, and is also EOL, and while Win7 is indeed the best Windows ever created, it's still Windows so it's still kind of crap.

The only sane course of action is migrate to Linux, period.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 July 2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

You could. But you don't, because you are a troll, not a madman.

I'm not insane like someone that thinks he can smell spyware with his awesome mind powers and decide what update is good and what is bad. It's all binary and undocumented for chrissake, is the update's description on the website enough to decide? Do we trust the word of the software developer to decide if the software is good or not? What kind of "advanced auditing" is this mad man doing? I doubt he is doing much as he seems unable to just google basic stuff like that update that Libreoffice downloads. WTF?!?!
          Let me repeat: the only thing that is sure is that his system is not secure, and is also EOL, and while Win7 is indeed the best Windows ever created, it's still Windows so it's still kind of crap.

The only sane course of action is migrate to Linux, period.
          Don't be so paranoid, you don't even know the guy. And I thought that Windows 7 was just a horrible OS. I don't know why so many people love it. The software incompatability hit an extreme level at that point, and actually became much better with the compatibility layer on Windows 8 and Windows 10. People care too much about the stupid stuff on Windows - the only important thing that matters is whether it will run the 3rd party apps or not. People want "gaming performance" which is such a moronic expectation for an OS that has always been built as an office desktop for corporate drones.

Comment

Don't be so paranoid, you don't even know the guy.
            I'm a Windows sysadmin and I'm supposed to do what he does but on servers, to avoid installing updates that could potentially break an application "in production", so I know what I'm talking about if I say that there is no other way than reading the material MS themselves publishes and that this material is unreliable at best.
            I've got myself in trouble far too many times in the past when I was still inexperienced because I gave the green light for something as it was not supposed to touch a particular subsystem and bam! the application (or driver or whatever) broke. Now the only way I can give a green light for anything is after I've installed it in a test system (created by restoring a backup of the production system). Some servers never got updated past a certain point for example because any update past that would break something horribly, and the management "knows" (has signed on a paper, I'm not sure they grasp the concept).

Thankfully there aren't many server room queens that need a special treatment like that, most applications are basic bitch stuff and the server is just updated at regular schedules (so that if anything goes wrong I am in the office and I can roll back in a hour or so).

So, since I know how the dance works, if he believes he can "sniff spyware" out of windows updates he is just hallucinating in his madness. And that's my main point.

And I thought that Windows 7 was just a horrible OS. I don't know why so many people love it.
            It was the best Windows ever, self-optimized, focused on Desktop, self-healing to an extent, it had a search function in the start menu that worked great to go anywhere, had better network manager for wifi, and was much more stable than XP as it locked down or dropped some interfaces that allowed applications to crash the OS.

The software incompatability hit an extreme level at that point, and actually became much better with the compatibility layer on Windows 8 and Windows 10.
            the compatibility is better because under the hood Win8 and Win10 are still more or less Win7 with different interface. Hell, they are taking years to migrate all settings off the "legacy" control panel window into the "modern" settings pages.

People care too much about the stupid stuff on Windows - the only important thing that matters is whether it will run the 3rd party apps or not.
            Or maybe it's you that care too little about the important stuff on Windows. Running 3rd party applications is important but isn't everything in a modern OS where you are multitasking.
            Yeah, like the fact that it has a start menu that fills your screen with colorful squares and you need to drag and drop with the mouse to "scroll" it, or that half the settings are split between two different applications. Boy that was a massive shock for every Windows user back in Win8 days.

Or that the search menu that was fast and responsive on Win7 is now bloated and laggy garbage in win10 because it adds Cortana and web searches (that none asked for).
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 July 2020, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
              I'm glad LibreOffice continues to be updated, for those few occasions that I actually need a nicely formatted doc. Other than that I try to avoid using it. Text files created with Vim that I can grep are a lot simpler and useful to me.
              I'm glad LibreOffice continues to be updated, for those occasions that I actually need a perfectly formatted doc. Other than that for simpler doc files with more leeway on the formatting side I can create them with MS Word.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I think LibreOffice Calc is quite nice, because spreadsheets you know.
                Wait a minute. So first, you're burning LO to the ground and now you're saying you like part of LO? What's wrong with you, man?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                  Am I the only person wiht copy paste issues in Libreoffice?
                  I guess so, 'cause most of the rest of the Linux community thinks LO is the holy grail that can't have any issues or do anything wrong.

Comment

this is propaganda written by ugly girls and I reject it

Not everyone needs to be a sex bomb but you need some level of decency in the body too, men/women/attack helicopters.
                    I'm a (heterosexual) guy and I disagree with your stance.

Comment

Softmaker Office is so good now there's really no need to have to run MS Office in a vm or on wine any longer.
                      I fully agree with you, but the FOSS enthusiasts will disagree :/

Comment

Working...
                      X