Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shortwave Sees First Stable Release As GNOME Internet Radio Player

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shortwave Sees First Stable Release As GNOME Internet Radio Player

    Phoronix: Shortwave Sees First Stable Release As GNOME Internet Radio Player

    After being in development for two years, GNOME Shortwave has seen its first stable release shortly after this week's GNOME 3.36 desktop debut...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Player-Stable

  • #2
    Typo:

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    More details on the first stable GNOME Shortave radio player release via this blog post.

    Comment


    • #3
      From the shortwave blog post:
      everything gets automatically recorded in the background
      Recording everything seems like kind of a bad idea in terms of storage space. And they are advertising it for use on Linux-based smart phones. Maybe I'm just an old fool, remembering the days when we used to try to conserve storage space because it was expensive.

      Comment


      • #4
        I bet the launcher's name is "Radio"

        Alternative names: "Thing" or "It does something" :-)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Candy View Post
          I bet the launcher's name is "Radio"
          Alternative names: "Thing" or "It does something" :-)
          Yip. The name just can't start with a K so that you know it's no KDE thing like kate, kdevelop, kaputt, kluttered or krashy

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            From the shortwave blog post:


            Recording everything seems like kind of a bad idea in terms of storage space. And they are advertising it for use on Linux-based smart phones. Maybe I'm just an old fool, remembering the days when we used to try to conserve storage space because it was expensive.
            Its recorded on a short ringbuffer and you can save the last 5 (or so) songs permanently on disk, it’s actually pretty convenient.
            Last edited by Mani; 03-15-2020, 11:37 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

              Yip. The name just can't start with a K so that you know it's no KDE thing like kate, kdevelop, kaputt, kluttered or krashy
              Maybe it could be called... "Gradio".

              Wait...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                From the shortwave blog post:


                Recording everything seems like kind of a bad idea in terms of storage space. And they are advertising it for use on Linux-based smart phones. Maybe I'm just an old fool, remembering the days when we used to try to conserve storage space because it was expensive.
                But not old enough to remember listening to a radio to make physical mix tapes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Does anyone know if there is a "canonical" free database of internet streaming radio/audio stations out there? I like that it has a database of 25,000 stations, but the only thing I could find online was a CSV list of 25,000 stations that is being sold for $298.00. Would be cool if there was an "open" database for something like this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

                    Yip. The name just can't start with a K so that you know it's no KDE thing like kate, kdevelop, kaputt, kluttered or krashy
                    Exactly. It has to start with a 'G' so that you know it's o GTK/GNOME thing, like gThumb, GIMP, Gradio, Gcrap or Gsucks.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X