Shortwave Sees First Stable Release As GNOME Internet Radio Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortwave Sees First Stable Release As GNOME Internet Radio Player

Phoronix: Shortwave Sees First Stable Release As GNOME Internet Radio Player

After being in development for two years, GNOME Shortwave has seen its first stable release shortly after this week's GNOME 3.36 desktop debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    More details on the first stable GNOME Shortave radio player release via this blog post.

Comment

From the shortwave blog post:
      everything gets automatically recorded in the background
      Recording everything seems like kind of a bad idea in terms of storage space. And they are advertising it for use on Linux-based smart phones. Maybe I'm just an old fool, remembering the days when we used to try to conserve storage space because it was expensive.

Comment

I bet the launcher's name is "Radio"

Alternative names: "Thing" or "It does something" :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          I bet the launcher's name is "Radio"
          Alternative names: "Thing" or "It does something" :-)
          Yip. The name just can't start with a K so that you know it's no KDE thing like kate, kdevelop, kaputt, kluttered or krashy

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Recording everything seems like kind of a bad idea in terms of storage space. And they are advertising it for use on Linux-based smart phones. Maybe I'm just an old fool, remembering the days when we used to try to conserve storage space because it was expensive.
            Its recorded on a short ringbuffer and you can save the last 5 (or so) songs permanently on disk, it’s actually pretty convenient.
            Last edited by Mani; 15 March 2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Yip. The name just can't start with a K so that you know it's no KDE thing like kate, kdevelop, kaputt, kluttered or krashy
              Maybe it could be called... "Gradio".

Wait...

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

But not old enough to remember listening to a radio to make physical mix tapes.

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a "canonical" free database of internet streaming radio/audio stations out there? I like that it has a database of 25,000 stations, but the only thing I could find online was a CSV list of 25,000 stations that is being sold for $298.00. Would be cool if there was an "open" database for something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Exactly. It has to start with a 'G' so that you know it's o GTK/GNOME thing, like gThumb, GIMP, Gradio, Gcrap or Gsucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X