Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Now Deals With GTK CSD Headerbars - Improving GNOME App Integration On Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Qt and GTK+ are hardly the only toolkits for X11 and, before GNOME, Microsoft, and Apple decided to try to start to tablet-ifying their UIs, there was a general consensus across platforms on what the basic building blocks of a desktop GUI should be, even if getting things exactly right in a cross-platform app was much more difficult.
    GTK supports menus, dialogs, buttons, sliders, checkboxes etc so I don't see what's the point here.

Comment

About ready to just drop Phoronix at this point. A simple, innocuous thread about the latest improvements to Plasma has turned into a 50+ posts shitfest thanks to our resident troll, 144Hz. I count about 6-10 posts that are actually relevant to Nate's work, and the rest stirring up trouble of KDE vs. Gnome. Again, instigated by 144Hz, who started it all in the first or second post. What happened, 144Hz, when you said about not talking about KDE in Gnome threads? A shame you can't follow your own advice.

Michael (and all others reading here), if you can't see what 144Hz is trying to do in multiple threads, then I guess there's not much else to say, and not really much more point to coming back here.

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post
        About ready to just drop Phoronix at this point. A simple, innocuous thread about the latest improvements to Plasma has turned into a 50+ posts shitfest thanks to our resident troll, 144Hz. I count about 6-10 posts that are actually relevant to Nate's work, and the rest stirring up trouble of KDE vs. Gnome. Again, instigated by 144Hz, who started it all in the first or second post. What happened, 144Hz, when you said about not talking about KDE in Gnome threads? A shame you can't follow your own advice.

Michael (and all others reading here), if you can't see what 144Hz is trying to do in multiple threads, then I guess there's not much else to say, and not really much more point to coming back here.
        Don't even worry about him, counter his shit and then go about your day. It's obvious, but eveyone can see that, so don't let it bother you.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          I once opened this and closed it in anger:

With free drivers, it is not about tearing, but about stutter. With proper compositors like Picom, Gnome-Mutter and kwin-lowlatency, applications like Firefox or mpv don't show any additional stutter vs. no compositor.

Never had such problems on my PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GTK supports menus, dialogs, buttons, sliders, checkboxes etc so I don't see what's the point here.
            I don't really feel like exhaustively enumerating the problems when I'm feeling tired and have enough else to spend my motivation on, but I will say that HTML UIs also support menus, dialogs, buttons, sliders, and checkboxes and nobody would call those native.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
              Never had such problems on my PCs.
              It's worse: You consider the stutter normal.
              Sorry, dude. I've tested this extensively on various AMD & Intel GPUs and distributions, there are no exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                It's worse: You consider the stutter normal.
                Sorry, dude. I've tested this extensively on various AMD & Intel GPUs and distributions, there are no exceptions.
                No, I repeat I don't have any stutter on my PCs, consider the possibility of not having absolute certainties!

Comment

Even if that was true, it wouldn't change the fact that the breakage is inside KWin.
                  Just read some comments of tildearrow's fork fixing it for several users on its GitHub issue tracker.
                  You likely didn't test correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Don't even worry about him, counter his shit and then go about your day. It's obvious, but eveyone can see that, so don't let it bother you.
                    But then he counters back, and the thread is no longer fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X