No announcement yet.

Firefox 69 Gearing Up For Release With Linux Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only they would enable HW accelerated video playback in Linux...
    Currently I have to Copy Link and use mpv to watch Youtube without heat and fan noise. Years back you could install some plugins.
    Anyone know of a good solution?

Comment

RussianNeuroMancertthe standard Firefox package in the Ubuntu repositories supports Wayland. You have to start it from the command line, something like MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=true firefox

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
        RussianNeuroMancertthe standard Firefox package in the Ubuntu repositories supports Wayland. You have to start it from the command line, something like MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=true firefox
        (cc RussianNeuroMancer ) You don't need to launch from the CLI. You can also modify the .desktop file like so:

Code:
        cp /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
        And edit the Exec line in that file:
        Code:
        Exec=env MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u
        Last edited by franglais125; 02 September 2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

What about Servo and the Rustification?

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
              Currently I have to Copy Link and use mpv to watch Youtube without heat and fan noise. Years back you could install some plugins.
              You could use the Add-On "Open With" and create a menu entry for mpv. (For anyone else: You also need to have youtube-dl installed for this to work. And youtube-dl knows much more sources than just YouTube, btw.)

Comment

I build an alsa-enabled Firefox Nightly for running on an antiX system without systemd or pulseaudio. Nightly version 71 is a beast, handles anything you can throw at it.

I don't recall much about 69, other than that it was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                  This is a bug with youtube itself, it uses a non standart js functions implemented only on Chromium, and a uses a slow polyfill on other browsesr.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
                    MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND? Why not just GDK_BACKEND?

Comment

Originally posted by ShizzyG View Post
                      Nice.
                      For what reason?

Comment

Working...
                      X