Firefox 69 Gearing Up For Release With Linux Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND? Why not just GDK_BACKEND?
    I can't find the source now, but using GDK_BACKEND could break something downstream. Something like: you open a window through a link on Firefox, now this window inherits the GDK_BACKEND, which could be problematic.

MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND was added as a specific flag to avoid this problem.

Comment

Firefox runs quite well now on Plasma Wayland too! It only has some issues with using the right font DPI, but that is happening with other Gtk applications as well. Sadly kwin produces a lot of flickering when running Firefox on Wayland as there is still the subsurface rendering broken since years!

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
        You could use the Add-On "Open With" and create a menu entry for mpv.
        I almost tried that extension, but was put off by the extension needing you to download an external helper program and it being from a github user named "darktrojan"... But thank you for the recommendation - I might try it again for real.

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post
        This is a bug with youtube itself, it uses a non standart js functions implemented only on Chromium, and a uses a slow polyfill on other browsesr.
        That might be. However, other sites are having the same problem, and so is Chromium. It is obvious, that it is HW accelerated video decoding that makes the most difference. Using mpv on my laptop is the only thing that works for my lap right now.

Comment

Built for me from source in 30 minutes (16-thread AMD Ryzen w/ 64GB RAM) – think the build-time could be significantly lower, less than 20 minutes, if there would not be a couple of serially running Rustc processes for up to 6 minutes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZxeJzeRHE

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            I almost tried that extension, but was put off by the extension needing you to download an external helper program and it being from a github user named "darktrojan"
            The "external helper program" is a short and simple Python script, you can open it with a text editor to see what it is doing.

Comment

MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND? Why not just GDK_BACKEND?
              GDK_BACKEND is generic for all gtk3 apps, while MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND is exclusive to ff and thunderbird. Env vars are inherited by apps opened by other apps, something that will happen for instance when you download a file and open it from firefox itself.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                What about Servo and the Rustification?
                Can anyone reply this? Please...

Firefox and Rust...?

Comment

For what reason?
                  69 or Sixty-nine is a slang term and memetic number used to refer to a sex position due to the number looking like two people having mutual oral sex. Online, it has a reputation as "the sex number," and has been featured in numerous memes and jokes over the years. People often joke about it by replying "nice" to posts that use the number 69 regardless of the context in which the number is used.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                    I almost tried that extension, but was put off by the extension needing you to download an external helper program and it being from a github user named "darktrojan"... But thank you for the recommendation - I might try it again for real.
                    The script is under 200 lines, you can check it. This part wasn’t needed pre-Quantum. But great that the developer even went so far to find a way out of the now stricter Add-On sandbox to offer his functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

(cc RussianNeuroMancer ) You don't need to launch from the CLI. You can also modify the .desktop file like so:

Code:
                      cp /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/
                      And edit the Exec line in that file:
                      Code:
                      Exec=env MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u
                      You don't even need to use the CLI. Just use your favorite GUI menu editor

Comment

Working...
                      X