Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another GNOME Improvement Being Discussed To Help With Touchpad Scrolling / Tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DoMiNeLa10 Your bias is not Canonical’s needs. Canonical need to innovate and compete. That’s very different than distribute more desktops than they can support.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      DoMiNeLa10 Your bias is not Canonical’s needs. Canonical need to innovate and compete. That’s very different than distribute more desktops than they can support.
      Since when are their efforts commercial first? They simply don't understand what they're working with, and they are out of touch. Normies despise of GNOME as well, and I've seen them flock to KDE for whatever reason.

Comment

DoMiNeLa10 You assume Canonical is stupid because you disagree. There’s no reason to discuss any further. You can keep talking and Canonical will keep walking.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          Canonical doesn't care about KDE, XFCE etc. they say they support them and they do it very badly, they only care about Gnome.
          They care a little bit to the degree that they use other desktops to push their semi-proprietary CLA'ed shit. Mate for Mir (making sure they won't adopt fully FOSS wlroots) and KDE for Snap (they sponsor KDE e.V. and then suddenly KDE Neon decided to pursue Snap exclusively and mentioning Snap packages prominently in announcements).

As for this topic: As long as they don't add a way to disable two-finger horizontal scrolling, it's uninteresting.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            If they want to do something worthwhile, they should contribute to X.org.
            X.org is dead. Investing in gnome-shell can be seen as some investment in wayland, and thats worthwhile.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            They care a little bit to the degree that they use other desktops to push their semi-proprietary CLA'ed shit. Mate for Mir (making sure they won't adopt fully FOSS wlroots) and KDE for Snap (they sponsor KDE e.V. and then suddenly KDE Neon decided to pursue Snap exclusively and mentioning Snap packages prominently in announcements).
            I don't see where canonical pressed the mate guys into mir. I don't even see canonical investing in mir anymore. Mir is also GPLv3, which is for my understanding FOSS.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            As for this topic: As long as they don't add a way to disable two-finger horizontal scrolling, it's uninteresting.
            That's a totally different topic.

Comment

Canonical is only using GNOME because they had to choose a desktop after dumping Unity, and GNOME was easier to work with. If they actually cared about GNOME, they wouldn't spend their time trying to make it look like Unity and pushing crap like Snap when the GNOME Community has fully embraced Flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                I don't see where canonical pressed the mate guys into mir. I don't even see canonical investing in mir anymore. Mir is also GPLv3, which is for my understanding FOSS.
                To contribute to Mir, as far as I remember you have to sign a CLA. So Canonical can relicense the code to proprietary at any moment.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  Charlie68 True. But that makes a lot of sense. Ubuntu only need one desktop. Pooling resources is the way to go.
                  ... and then they stop writing that offer the best Kde, Xfce etc. experience. Canonical stop lying and only support what they can support!

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                    To contribute to Mir, as far as I remember you have to sign a CLA. So Canonical can relicense the code to proprietary at any moment.
                    That makes no real sense to me. The project in on Github, anybody can fork Mir anytime and create Pull Requests. I found no proof of any specifi, restrictive CLA.

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                    ... and then they stop writing that offer the best Kde, Xfce etc. experience. Canonical stop lying and only support what they can support!
                    I really didn't get your point.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      I thought Kubuntu was an entirely community driven project? Canonical might be willing to include certain packages in their repos but that doesn't necessarily mean they have support of these DEs.
                      All the flavors of Ubuntu are officially supported!

Comment

Working...
                      X