Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another GNOME Improvement Being Discussed To Help With Touchpad Scrolling / Tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canonical is only using GNOME because they had to choose a desktop after dumping Unity, and GNOME was easier to work with. If they actually cared about GNOME, they wouldn't spend their time trying to make it look like Unity and pushing crap like Snap when the GNOME Community has fully embraced Flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
      I don't see where canonical pressed the mate guys into mir. I don't even see canonical investing in mir anymore. Mir is also GPLv3, which is for my understanding FOSS.
      To contribute to Mir, as far as I remember you have to sign a CLA. So Canonical can relicense the code to proprietary at any moment.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Charlie68 True. But that makes a lot of sense. Ubuntu only need one desktop. Pooling resources is the way to go.
        ... and then they stop writing that offer the best Kde, Xfce etc. experience. Canonical stop lying and only support what they can support!

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          To contribute to Mir, as far as I remember you have to sign a CLA. So Canonical can relicense the code to proprietary at any moment.
          That makes no real sense to me. The project in on Github, anybody can fork Mir anytime and create Pull Requests. I found no proof of any specifi, restrictive CLA.

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          ... and then they stop writing that offer the best Kde, Xfce etc. experience. Canonical stop lying and only support what they can support!
          I really didn't get your point.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I thought Kubuntu was an entirely community driven project? Canonical might be willing to include certain packages in their repos but that doesn't necessarily mean they have support of these DEs.
            All the flavors of Ubuntu are officially supported!

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

That makes no real sense to me. The project in on Github, anybody can fork Mir anytime and create Pull Requests. I found no proof of any specifi, restrictive CLA.

I really didn't get your point.
              The point is that unfortunately the DE have become many, the choice of Ubuntu has been to support them almost all, but this has led to a quality of some flavors that is embarrassing! In my opinion, they should only support what they can support in an acceptable way upstream. Unfortunately today the only DE that receives some contributions is Gnome, the others have an embarrassing support.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Guest You assume Canonical is stupid because you disagree. There’s no reason to discuss any further. You can keep talking and Canonical will keep walking.
                Talking isn't the right way to name it, they're drifting at best. Other distros are starting to become more interesting to normies. Mint, Clear Linux, even Arch are starting to be something more than an oddity to your normie.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

The point is that unfortunately the DE have become many, the choice of Ubuntu has been to support them almost all, but this has led to a quality of some flavors that is embarrassing! In my opinion, they should only support what they can support in an acceptable way upstream. Unfortunately today the only DE that receives some contributions is Gnome, the others have an embarrassing support.
                  The other flavors are mostly community efforts, so the quality depends on the correspondig community. Canonical allows the use of the canonical infrastructured like mirrors and so on and parts of the name. What's wrong with that?

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Talking isn't the right way to name it, they're drifting at best. Other distros are starting to become more interesting to normies. Mint, Clear Linux, even Arch are starting to be something more than an oddity to your normie.
                  I don't see Arch or Clear Linux really taking off when talking about normies. Mint does, but I don't see them doing anything real better.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10
                    Since when are their efforts commercial first?
                    The minute the company was founded? If they spent money to pay developers to work on desktops that they don’t even use, I would think that they had gone mad.
                    Last edited by cynical; 05 August 2019, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid
                      There is no CLA, its licensed as GPL. You’re just making stuff up because you hate Canonical.

Comment

Working...
                      X