GIMP 2.10.8 Gets Better Performance Boost On Lower-End Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

There are some other applications other than XMMS that are compatible with Winamp skins.
    I think maybe XMMS2, Audacious, Beep Media Player, and some others.
    Well, my point are old programs as these are usually more efficient and old GUI libs... maybe i should mention mtPaint here, that still supports GTK 1

mtPaint is a painting program which Mark Tyler developed from scratch so he could easily create pixel art and manipulate digital photos.

It uses the GTK+ toolkit (version 1 or 2) and runs on PC's via the GNU/Linux or Windows operating systems. Due to its efficient design it can run on older PC hardware (e.g. a 200MHz CPU and 16MB of free RAM).
    Mark Tyler's Painting Program. Contribute to wjaguar/mtPaint development by creating an account on GitHub.

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
    I never really considered gimp to be slow, but I'll take it.
    Same way Gnome 3 devs didn't noticed gigabytes of memory leaks, because their machines have 32 GB of RAM
    Last edited by dungeon; 10 November 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Well, my point are old programs as these are usually more efficient and old GUI libs... maybe i should mention mtPaint here, that still supports GTK 1
      Many of these old toolkits don't support 4K / HiDPI, Wayland, anti-aliasing, etc.
      Also the efficiency argument is rather mute in today's world, my system got 16 GB RAM and plenty of CPU cores.
      Even my phone have 8 cores and 8 GB RAM.

Comment

Many of these old toolkits don't support 4K / HiDPI, Wayland, anti-aliasing, etc.
        He, he, good that you mention all these... why do you want anti-aliasing on a 4K+ / HiDPI screen?

AA is more for smaller screens, on big enough that is not an issue Features of the past sometimes are not so needed in future.
        Last edited by dungeon; 10 November 2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Since this is dynamic, shouldn't that theoretically mean high-end systems get a performance boost too?

Same here. It's even worse if you're using a Qt+Wayland environment like myself.
          You're right, GIMP should totally support both GTK3 *and* Qt.

Comment

Also the efficiency argument is rather mute in today's world, my system got 16 GB RAM and plenty of CPU cores.
            GTK2 themes support HiDPI if you use a theme that was created with Oomox.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

I found KRITA just as great (or even better) for photo edit, but you have to be in the mood to learn it
              I agree, but a lot of 'true' photo edit advocates will argue that Krita is nowhere near GIMP because it's not a 'true' photo editor.

Comment

Efficiency is always modern. Yesteday, today and tomorrow is no different. In today's harassment free ignorant world you wanna GTK3 in tomorrow you would want GTK4 and so on

Same as mine PlayStation 4 where i could play game exclusives But what kind of argument that is... who cares about phones here, keep that in your pocket
                Last edited by dungeon; 10 November 2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You're right, GIMP should totally support both GTK3 *and* Qt.
                  Every time I read something like that I wonder if people who write that understand just how much work it is to port GIMP to an entirely different toolkit, let alone maintain both versions.

I mean, come on, GIMP is not Transmission. It has a wee bit more UI, no? And more complicated UI? And all sorts of complicated user interaction things going?
                  Last edited by prokoudine; 10 November 2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
                    I found KRITA just as great (or even better) for photo edit, but you have to be in the mood to learn it
                    I tried Krita and for photo editing, I just didn't like it. Krita seems more focused on drawing/painting, rather than image editing. Since I'm terrible at drawing, Gimp ended up being a better choice for me.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Every time I read something like that I wonder if people who write that understand just how much work it is to port GIMP to an entirely different toolkit, let alone maintain both versions.
                      Every time I read something like this, I wonder if people understand that I was being sarcastic.

Comment

Working...
                      X