GIMP 2.10.8 Gets Better Performance Boost On Lower-End Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Every time I read something like this, I wonder if people understand that I was being sarcastic.
    On interwebz, you never know if people are crazy or merely sarcastic

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Many of these old toolkits don't support 4K / HiDPI, Wayland, anti-aliasing, etc.
      Also the efficiency argument is rather mute in today's world, my system got 16 GB RAM and plenty of CPU cores.
      Even my phone have 8 cores and 8 GB RAM.
      In the real world new PCs still come out with 4GB RAM. I'm talking IBM PC compatibles, maybe not strictly because they're UEFI but you get what I mean.
      If you keep wishing for crappy software soon will come the time when your PC with 16GB will be a piece of crap brought to its knees swapping left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

He, he, good that you mention all these... why do you want anti-aliasing on a 4K+ / HiDPI screen?

AA is more for smaller screens, on big enough that is not an issue Features of the past sometimes are not so needed in future.
        Well older widget toolkits might not support anti-aliasing so they may be a bad experience on 1080p screens.
        Also older widget toolkits might not support HiDPI so might be a bad experience on 4K screens.
        Also older widget toolkits might not support Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Also older widget toolkits might not support Wayland.
          I want to ask: Why is Wayland (and its ecosystem) so important to you? What is so wrong with XWayland?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I want to ask: Why is Wayland (and its ecosystem) so important to you? What is so wrong with XWayland?
            Wayland looks to be the future of the Linux desktop.
            I see XWayland as an intermediate step in the transition between X11 to Wayland.
            So I will be running Wayland with XWayland for a while, then eventually only Wayland without XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
              I recently used the new GIMP for processing some Website graphics. The package that came bundles with Fedora 29 crashes in a row here on my system. In the middle of some image processing everything disappears and a small dialog pops up with the backtrace. It looks like the GIMP 2.10.x has a long way to go until stabilisation.
              Try out the flatpak build on flathub. It works very well.

Comment

Working...
              X