GNOME 3.32 Planning To Retire Application Menus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gorgone View Post
    Check out the new Plasma 5.14 with the beautiful global menu..... faster and less memory hungry than Gnome.
    KDE has had a global menu since KDE2 days, it just isn't default because it is kind of stupid and only works with KDE apps.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I've always thought that the global menu on Apple devices was terrible. They tried to get rid of it themselves when OS X was in Beta, but the users wanted things the old way.
      It feels really old too. Like 1980s old.
      I feel the same. And on a large desktop screen it places the menu far from the application. It is just bad

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        KDE has had a global menu since KDE2 days, it just isn't default because it is kind of stupid and only works with KDE apps.
        wrong its working also with gnome apps now
        The only exception is openoffice/libreoffice??? . who do their own thing, as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

I feel the same. And on a large desktop screen it places the menu far from the application. It is just bad
          thats the beauty of kde
          here no one forces you to look or behave in a certain way
          you can customize everything as you like at any time

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
            We gave up on gnome when we qualified it in a vbox session with users, then when we rolled it out on a couple real boxes, we got an entirely different experience. When we went to the support forums to find out what was up, we were met with disbelief that a difference between vbox and metal could possibly be of any material difference to anyone. Apparently the unnamed distro was deciding on old and new gnome depending on virtualization or not.

Having said that, I really liked gnome-terminal's default colors and fonts in the recent Ubuntu that I tried (vs my regular Tumbleweed+KDE).
            This sounds like the fallback to gnome-classic shell if no 3D acceleration is found.
            The unnamed distro wanted to provide a performant experience to the user depending on the capabilities of the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              How to fix GNOME:

- Have the Dash to Dock extension inside the shell by default
              - Drop CSD, or at least fix it (especially in some dialogs where the OK/Cancel buttons are in the top bar)
              - Reduce the thickness of the title bar in non-CSD applications
              - Remove a little of air in the UI
              - Support desktop icons again (but not via Nautilus)
              - Don't tell the user that a window is ready
              - Don't tell the user the computer will go to sleep in 1 minute. Seriously, if the user is not there, how is the user going to see that? (and it is unlikely the user will be back when the message pops up)
              - Let me easily change the path (without pressing '/') in Open/Save dialogs
              - Fix some of the icons that don't make sense (such as the "New" icon in gedit being a "tombstone", or the "Save" being an arrow pointing at a hard disk)
              - Add more configuration options rather than hiding it in Tweaks or dconf (or even hardcoded)
              - Fix XWayland timer-based VSync and learn to sync to the display's blank interval
              - Fix Mutter on high-end graphics cards (yes, it feels slower on them)
              - Separate the compositor and shell processes
              - Stop breaking extension API
              - Don't run JavaScript in the main shell thread
              - Next time you want to add/remove a feature, first make a poll. This way you please most of your users.
              How to REALLY fix GNOME:
              - lay the towel down
              - abandon the project
              - redirect all interested to MATE

Comment

Originally posted by gorgone View Post

wrong its working also with gnome apps now
                The only exception is openoffice/libreoffice??? . who do their own thing, as usual.
                Right, what I meant was that back in the day it only worked for KDE applications, which is part of the reason it never caught on much. With GNOME doing their own thing with this menu, it has the power to work with GNOME applications as well, so now it has a better chance of catching on among those that like that experience.

Comment

Another basic feature stripped down. More reasons to miss Unity.
                  Since Gnome desktop is only usable with a dozen extensions, I will have to check if it impacts my installation or if an extension is already there to make up for what Gnome is unable to offer.

I got it from the blog post that there won't even be a tab in the top bar anymore. Hence, you won't have any clue which window is currently focused. If that's true, that's a major setback in using Gnome.

Comment

u dont like addons ? u can try this video its 1 1/2 years old ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSBMn6eGH88
                    and u have unity without unity on any linux distro

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

This is a workstation/consumer desktop not an embedded OS first solution.
                      This is where you and the GNOME developers disagree, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                      X