X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    How to fix GNOME:
    - Reduce the thickness of the title bar in non-CSD applications
    But it's not tied to CSD itself. This is tied to the theme. Adwaita has big margins and elements - so Adwaita should get fix, not CSD itself. For example - with Arc themes titlebars on nonCSD applications are small. Smaller than Breeze decorations in KDE.

I can't understand why they should remove CSD. It's good feature and most important - not necessary. It's up to developer to use it and it's not enabled by default. If you don't like CSD on GNOME apps - that's fine. But why devs should remove CSD from GTK instead of just remove CSD from their apps? Windows and macOS have CSD too so why GTK shouldn't has it?

Comment

Originally posted by OMTDesign View Post
      Hamburgers belong in my belly, not in GUI's. GNOME needs to get rid of that hamburger nonsense and work on creating a functional global menu, like Unity. Or... just bring back Unity 🤔
      agree, hamburger menu is a stupid ideia on desktop

Comment

We gave up on gnome when we qualified it in a vbox session with users, then when we rolled it out on a couple real boxes, we got an entirely different experience. When we went to the support forums to find out what was up, we were met with disbelief that a difference between vbox and metal could possibly be of any material difference to anyone. Apparently the unnamed distro was deciding on old and new gnome depending on virtualization or not.

Having said that, I really liked gnome-terminal's default colors and fonts in the recent Ubuntu that I tried (vs my regular Tumbleweed+KDE).
        Last edited by xorbe; 10 October 2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

Some praise is right, if someone finally changes his mind to the better. Because lots of people never change their mind to the better...
          Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I guess you're not familiar with the various OS's that have come and gone? 'Cause GNOME didn't copy Apple with this application menu feature, they copied webOS. webOS also had the menu on the exact same location for every app and it worked exactly the same as well (although on webOS, the menus were more populated with common features, so at least they unified it unlike GNOME with its secondary in-app menu). I'm a former webOS user, so I can tell you all about the features that GNOME copied from webOS (aside from the fact that early GNOME design blueprints also literally showed that they were inspired by webOS).
          The GNOME developers replaced the most popular and useful Linux desktop ever developed with a mobile operating system that never succeeded. As a result, we have GNOME, which is unusable for many people. Then, as a result of the fractured community and scarce developer resources, we have MATE, which is too buggy for critical production use and Xfce, which lags behind in development. Yet, GNOME developers give users more of the same.

Comment

I liked the idea when I came to Linux back on 2012. However, it never worked properly. They should've moved everything to this menu, or made a global menu macOS-like. If none of these, it's a valid idea to get rid of.

GNOME improving more and more, and leaving its concurrency far behind.

Comment

Meanwhile I'm the guy liking Gnome3. It has gotten a really productive and nice environment to do work and speeded up my workflow quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                Meanwhile I'm the guy liking Gnome3. It has gotten a really productive and nice environment to do work and speeded up my workflow quite a lot.
                I enjoy GNOME 3 but the menu structure not having a globally functional menu that toggles per apps is moronic. This is a workstation/consumer desktop not an embedded OS first solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
                  I liked the idea when I came to Linux back on 2012. However, it never worked properly. They should've moved everything to this menu, or made a global menu macOS-like. If none of these, it's a valid idea to get rid of.

GNOME improving more and more, and leaving its concurrency far behind.
                  In your stupid imaginary world. Gnome is one of the worst desktop environments right now. What it has left it's the common sense.

Comment

Check out the new Plasma 5.14 with the beautiful global menu..... faster and less memory hungry than Gnome.

Comment

I'm just an Average Joe desktop users, frustrated and stuck with Gnome3.. because I like it!
                      But frustration and misunderstanding stays.
                      This is open source, so I guess I'm welcome to contribute to it and improve it.. but seriously can't: no programming capabilities.
                      So what options Gnome gives me now? Switching to another DE?
                      Does my use of their project help them somehow?

Can't this kind of project benefit from a large userbase and if not should they improve a way for them to automatically report bugs or unexpected behaviours?
                      Shouldn't they make use of the large user base to collect metrics to understand their userbase (if they care) and improve their product?

Should they collect input and feature request from the "community" in a public space (or too much exposure to trolls and saboteurs?
                      Or shouldn't they find a way so the Average-Fan-Boy Joe could eventually sponsor a feature request, like a bounty to collect some revenue/resources? (so many users are happy to pay for open source apps/services!)

Shouldn't they consider this very particular moment with the exposure of being the default desktop on Ubuntu to gain more momentum and push forward for a little revolution of the project (and inside the project)?

So many are devoted of the Gnome (for different reasons) but you alway manage to pissed them off in a way or another. It's impossible to keep anyone happy, we know that, but I think it's time to address the way Gnome interact with its userbase/supporters (finding a way to keep out the annoying haters).

Just ideas and things I'm struggling to understand.
                      I can't imagine myself going back to click on start menu, even on Linux, so I'm not switching yet
                      Last edited by horizonbrave; 10 October 2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X