Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.32 Planning To Retire Application Menus

Phoronix: GNOME 3.32 Planning To Retire Application Menus

Another visible change coming to the GNOME Shell environment is the removal of application menus "app menus" for what had been an early GNOME 3 feature...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What? They made a change and developers didn't rush to embrace it? So now they taking their toys and going home?
    That's the spirit!

Comment

I never really got the reason for the existence of it in the first place, it just created a split menu.

Comment

As long as they keep DBusMenu alive and compatible, go for it.
        I love the menubar in the top panel concept, especially for small (<15") screens...

Comment

sorry but gnome fails in just about every possible way.
          the usability is getting worse in every new version in a way that you can't even imagine anymore

Comment

People make fun of GNOME removing stuff all the time, but I totally agree with the developers here. That thing has to go. It is pointless, redundant, inconsistent and it is disconnected from the applications. Everything in it should be in the hamburger menu.

Comment

This is a sensible change. The application menu in the top bar never made sense as it divorced only a subset of options from the application that they pertained to. If the top bar would have shown the full menu(s) of the focused application by default, then it would have made sense. It's good it now moves back to the application where it belongs.

Comment

I have to try it out myself if it fits my workflow. But getting rid of desktop symbols or the "start menu" certainly didn't help me to get more productive. It simply took longer with more process steps in the way to get to do what I want. It certainly did not help either that there were performance bugs that made it feel sluggish and laggy. Please think of enhancing the user experience first before changing the world.

Comment

At this point I feel like they are just trolling people.

Comment

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i almost never used this "feature" but it didnt annoy me either
                    Last edited by davidbepo; 10 October 2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X