Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 Radeon Software vs. AMDGPU On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Could be dx , Would be nice to know if this was the extreme preset with 8xAA too

    Comment


    • #12
      Just a general comment about the article, while completely ignoring whether a particular game has a built-in Phoronix-friendly benchmarking mode:

      I never played OpenArena and Xonotic, but I did play Bioshock Infinite and The Witcher 2.

      Comment


      • #13
        n00b question, I'm sure, but will the AMDGPU-PRO drivers be available to Ubuntu 16.04 on launch (or at least reasonably easy to install from a PPA)?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post
          n00b question, I'm sure, but will the AMDGPU-PRO drivers be available to Ubuntu 16.04 on launch (or at least reasonably easy to install from a PPA)?
          The driver is not ready yet.

          What we have now is a beta version which AMD released for download on it's website in order to give us a way to use Vulkan on Linux rather than having to wait for official launch. That beta driver installs easily on Ubuntu 14.04.4. Not sure what the situ is with Ubuntu 16.04 or the ETA for the public non-beta release which will be more distro-agnostic.

          Comment


          • #15
            I was about to say "the preview driver is not tested on 16.04" but then I noticed Michael had successfully run it on 16.04 for this article
            Test signature

            Comment


            • #16
              Got it & found the download page. Thanks!

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I was about to say "the preview driver is not tested on 16.04" but then I noticed Michael had successfully run it on 16.04 for this article
                My thought was how did he get the pro driver to run on Ubuntu 16.04?
                Remember that Michael didn't want to run mesa overrides before and said that he only tests the default and by default amdgpu-pro isn't supported on 16.04.

                Comment


                • #18
                  As Lord Gaben once said, "Linux is the future of gaming". We don't get much attention from driver developers, but still we're almost as fast as Windows, sometimes way faster. This is really nice to see.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
                    As Lord Gaben once said, "Linux is the future of gaming". We don't get much attention from driver developers, but still we're almost as fast as Windows, sometimes way faster. This is really nice to see.
                    You call him Lord, but steam is 32-bit peasantry.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Las_ View Post
                      ... steam is 32-bit peasantry.
                      In my opinion, if an application fits (when running) into a 32-bit address space, and does not benefit from 64-bit integer arithmetic, there is nothing wrong in compiling it for a 32-bit target. For example, small "streaming" Linux programs such as 'cat', 'tr', 'tail', or small programs such as 'cron' and 'sleep', fall into this category.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X