No announcement yet.

Windows 10 Radeon Software vs. AMDGPU On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be dx , Would be nice to know if this was the extreme preset with 8xAA too

Comment

n00b question, I'm sure, but will the AMDGPU-PRO drivers be available to Ubuntu 16.04 on launch (or at least reasonably easy to install from a PPA)?

Comment

Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post
        n00b question, I'm sure, but will the AMDGPU-PRO drivers be available to Ubuntu 16.04 on launch (or at least reasonably easy to install from a PPA)?
        The driver is not ready yet.

What we have now is a beta version which AMD released for download on it's website in order to give us a way to use Vulkan on Linux rather than having to wait for official launch. That beta driver installs easily on Ubuntu 14.04.4. Not sure what the situ is with Ubuntu 16.04 or the ETA for the public non-beta release which will be more distro-agnostic.

Comment

I was about to say "the preview driver is not tested on 16.04" but then I noticed Michael had successfully run it on 16.04 for this article
          Test signature

Comment

Got it & found the download page. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I was about to say "the preview driver is not tested on 16.04" but then I noticed Michael had successfully run it on 16.04 for this article
              My thought was how did he get the pro driver to run on Ubuntu 16.04?
              Remember that Michael didn't want to run mesa overrides before and said that he only tests the default and by default amdgpu-pro isn't supported on 16.04.

Comment

As Lord Gaben once said, "Linux is the future of gaming". We don't get much attention from driver developers, but still we're almost as fast as Windows, sometimes way faster. This is really nice to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
                  As Lord Gaben once said, "Linux is the future of gaming". We don't get much attention from driver developers, but still we're almost as fast as Windows, sometimes way faster. This is really nice to see.
                  You call him Lord, but steam is 32-bit peasantry.

Comment

Originally posted by Las_ View Post

You call him Lord, but steam is 32-bit peasantry.
                    So? The client itself doesn't dictate how the games run. X-Plane 10 is one example, it's a 64-bit Simulator that runs as 64-bit, despite the Client being 32.
                    Steam is actually a piece of software to launch other pieces of software. The games don't run THROUGH Steam, they're merely STARTED by it.

The "32-bit peasantry" you talk about can be directed towards game publishers/developers, they are the ones who say if the game will be 32 or 64 bit.

Steam can be x86 all the way IMO, it really doesn't matter, there's no performance drawback.
                    Last edited by Amarildo; 18 April 2016, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Here's the thing about it though, if there is any chance that your application can require more than 4GB on it 's main thread then it should be 64bits. Otherwise 32bits is probably a good idea.

EDIT: I recognize the additional registers and additional ISA extensions too. So it depends on benchmarks i guess in the end as to which is better for which applications.
                      Last edited by duby229; 18 April 2016, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X