No announcement yet.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Supports Targeting Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, just another bit of Microsoft vaporware that makes it into Phoronix!

On the other hand, I can't still find a single reason why a Linux developer would be interested in this .net thing. I mean, what's the point of using an (incomplete) windows-centric development platform on a POSIX operating system?

Comment

Originally posted by corzo View Post
      On the other hand, I can't still find a single reason why a Linux developer would be interested in this .net thing. I mean, what's the point of using an (incomplete) windows-centric development platform on a POSIX operating system?
      I think you're missing the point. This isn't for them. If they wanted to attract linux developers, they'd have ported visual studio to linux.

This is for windows developers who want to deploy apps to linux servers.

Comment

I think is more a move to turn off the growth Qt had lately. Promoting there is another way to create a single source and compile it to Windows and Linux may make some people discard or think twice about using Qt.

And since Qt actually requires SDKs from the other platforms to build binaries for it, people will prefer a no config solution.

Comment

Learn to use Google people...

Not that this is a bad thing in an of itself but the lack or simple Google searches before making wild claims seems to be a trend on MS subjects.
          #1 Visual Studios since 2010 was made using WPF which is never going to be ported to any other platform other then Windows. So for Visual Studios to be ported to other platforms, the entire UI would need to be rewritten. The only UI I see Microsoft using other then WPF is maybe HTML5. Just because Visual Studios compiles to Linux does NOT mean WPF is coming to Linux. It means ASP.NET and other CoreFX .NET features are coming. For now just use MonoDevelop, its easy to compile the latest version if you use outdated Ubuntu.

You sure this isn't a day late and it was supposed to be an April Fools joke?
          No of course its not as they announced this when they announced the Open Source version of .NET (aka CoreCLR) will run on Windows, OSX & Linux.

As UE4 C++ Programmer I have to say VS is the worst IDE in the world. Slower and more annoying than even Eclipse.
          Compared to what? What alternative do you suggest and why? Visual Studios is super fast for C#. Normally in UE4 you use BluePrint.

Most of the developers use Linux and most of the users use Windows
          No, where did you get that from? Maybe when Wayland based composites clean up the mess x11 is this might change.

... adding a competing MS product with better support, and then shutting down that tech.
          I agree MS does this crap a lot but .NET Core is fully open source and thus even if MS stopped supporting it, the critical mass around .NET will never let it die anytime soon.

I'm guessing you've never head of .NET Core (aka CoreCLR) supported by Microsoft and fully Open. CoreCLR is about 30% faster then .NET 4.5.2 and in some tests and way faster then Mono but also runs on Linux and OSX. More platforms are sure to come. So the interest comes from having a fully portable runtime and libraries that run on all major platforms. .NET is no longer Windows-Centric as you put it.
          CoreCLR (Runtime): https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr
          CoreFX (Frameworks): https://github.com/dotnet/corefx
          Roslyn (C# Compiler): https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn

I think is more a move to turn off the growth Qt had lately.
          No I don't think so because Visual Studios 2013 supports .NET Core and ASP.NET on Windows Linux and OSX NOT WPF. MS is not competing in that space and it would be very easy to use QT with .NET Core on Windows or Linux.
          Last edited by zezba9000; 02 April 2015, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
            Currently, any IDE not coming from Jetbrains is complete garbage pretty much. Maybe one day this will change.

I call stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
              I think is more a move to turn off the growth Qt had lately. Promoting there is another way to create a single source and compile it to Windows and Linux may make some people discard or think twice about using Qt.

And since Qt actually requires SDKs from the other platforms to build binaries for it, people will prefer a no config solution.
              Or maybe we can stop trying to read conspiracies into it just because it's Microsoft. What I can basically guarantee that all this boils down to is advertising "Hey you can build Linux Server applications using .NET and Visual Studio!". Nothing that effects Qt, nothing that effects pretty much anything except for ASP.NET and it's competitors, and other such server things.

Comment

As UE4 C++ Programmer I have to say VS is the worst IDE in the world. Slower and more annoying than even Eclipse.
                Compared to what? What alternative do you suggest and why? Visual Studios is super fast for C#. Normally in UE4 you use BluePrint.
                Well, I dont really know, I just know that QTCreator and KDevelop are the IDEs to use under Linux and I pretty much like them. The thing with normaly you use Blueprints: No not really.... Blueprints dont give you all the freedom, I had to use C++ pretty often and even did runtime modifications.
                What bugs me about Visual Studio:
                * Slow & often not functional Intellisense
                * Slow UI in general
                * Gigantic overhead of stuff you never use
                * Extremly inefficent search in solutions

And the Community Edition is a little bit buggy for me (target selection greyed out).

However, I have to say I never used the Debugger, cause I never needed too (yet).

I would love to see MonoDevelop in supporting C++... Super useful during Unity3D development.

Comment

Originally posted by zezba9000 View Post
                  Not that this is a bad thing in an of itself but the lack or simple Google searches before making wild claims seems to be a trend on MS subjects.
                  #1 Visual Studios since 2010 was made using WPF which is never going to be ported to any other platform other then Windows. So for Visual Studios to be ported to other platforms, the entire UI would need to be rewritten. The only UI I see Microsoft using other then WPF is maybe HTML5. Just because Visual Studios compiles to Linux does NOT mean WPF is coming to Linux. It means ASP.NET and other CoreFX .NET features are coming. For now just use MonoDevelop, its easy to compile the latest version if you use outdated Ubuntu.
                  Well... While I agree with the rest of your post I have one quibble. The WPF team is thinking about but is currently not in favour of open sourcing WPF at this time, because they need to figure out how they'd want to handle the release engineering and so on. There is a strong possibility that BUILD2015 and its side effects will change their minds. Additionally I would not be surprised if there is pressure from Nadella to make Visual Studio proper crossplatform. So it's not coming yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a change of heart over the next year or so.

Comment

MS VS nuts in Linux? Oh snap!

Yes, Linux output from VS!
                    Oh snap! Dear MS VS users, please fuckoff and keep your shit in winduz. You're not welcome guests. Especially when using this approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      if there is pressure from Nadella to make Visual Studio proper crossplatform.
                      Teaching Microsuxx how to do opensource right? Eh, it's like teaching cows to dance!

So these proprietary faggots who promote locked boot loaders and never bothered self to make .NET really crossplatform (ranging from MS-inclined MZ PE binaries as file format, making favor to windows, up to lack of truly crossplatform UI toolkit) would now try to mimic opensource? Haha, that's something more fancy than dancing cow.

Comment

Working...
                      X