Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teh end is nigh?

Comment

This move is quite pointless. Microsoft should be doing the opposite. Most of the developers use Linux and most of the users use Windows, so the higher demand is to be able to target Windows from Linux, not target Linux from Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        Most of the developers use Linux and most of the users use Windows
        Source?

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
          He's either lying or simply doesn't know what the real situation is. The latter is more likely, especially if he's some sort of "project manager" who never actually works with the tools he praises so much.
          Nope, he's a sysadmin and at the time he wasn't a manager. He was doing the work himself and from his laptop he pulled up a list of available Windows Updates, selected the ten that he had already tested on a spare machine, and pushed them out to forty other machines at a branch office with a reboot scheduled for 2 AM. It took him about three minutes and involved an easy clicky interface.

Originally posted by Nille
          Why do you not use the remote PowerShell?
          Right. That's what I was going to ask. With Server 2012 the default install doesn't even have a GUI. So PowerShell is the Microsoft equivalent to SSH/SSHD, and from what I understand it works fine.

This move is quite pointless. Microsoft should be doing the opposite. Most of the developers use Linux and most of the users use Windows, so the higher demand is to be able to target Windows from Linux, not target Linux from Windows.
          Are you joking? For building end user applications, what you say makes sense. But for building server applications, the opposite is true - many developers work on Windows but target Linux. I work at a relatively small company, and that's the situation here: we run CentOS on the server, but more than half of the developers run Windows on their development machines. So we use Java.

Comment

the higher demand is to be able to target Windows from Linux, not target Linux from Windows.
            This is possible since a bit less than a decade.
            > http://mxe.cc/

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post
              Lol... yeah right.
              Everyone I know in the industry that uses it loves it.

While I don't really care about compiler support that much, what I do care about is the debugging ability that VS offers. That is, bar none, the best debugger.
              If that is part of this, then, it is big news.
              Agreed. Nothing beats the MS debugger.

Comment

Originally posted by vortex View Post
                Lol... yeah right.
                Everyone I know in the industry that uses it loves it.

While I don't really care about compiler support that much, what I do care about is the debugging ability that VS offers. That is, bar none, the best debugger.
                If that is part of this, then, it is big news.
                nearly everyone I work with uses vim or emacs.

p.s., clion's debugger is better than VS.

Comment

Currently, any IDE not coming from Jetbrains is complete garbage pretty much. Maybe one day this will change.

Comment

Reannouncement?

I thought they already announced this about 6 months ago.

And, as I understand it, "Linux support" means the ability to deploy into Linux containers. That's not desktop apps or GUI-based programs. This is enabling technology to monetize Microsoft's Azure, and an effort to stave off the market-eating MacOS encroachment in the devops space.

You're not going to be churning out games or GTK apps any time soon using VS.

Comment

embrace extend and extinguish

Uhmm, this sounds very familiar.
                      MS has done this before. Taken a tech into its world, extended on it to a degree that every one is dependent on MS products. Then adding a competing MS product with better support, and then shutting down that tech.

I think it is great that MS is seeing the light, but i'm going to be suspicious for a little while.

Comment

Working...
                      X