No announcement yet.

NetBSD 10.0 Released With Much Improved Hardware Support & Faster Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone using Net BSD? If yes, for what? Desktop? Server?

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

BSD license allows using the code for proprietary, closed source products, such as PlayStation OS. This is an important difference for the commercial applications.

GNU/Linux was developed completely independently from ground up. All BSD projects started from BSD software distribution that was the basis of UNIX variants that was released by Berkeley.

Linux is much more capable regarding hardware support and popular compared to BSD.

You can read more about BSD below
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berk...e_Distribution
      Right. I forgot about that part. Thanks
      For a desktop bsd seems to be like Linux, but worse hardware compatibility. I'll pass, as I really don't have time for tinkering anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
        FreeBSD is the more popular BSD. OpenBSD is the security-focused BSD. DragonFly BSD is the oddball with a supposedly good filesystem that you can't get anywhere else. Where exactly does NetBSD fit in?
        NetBSD is the supposedly portable one, yet it's not available for ppc64le, RISC-V, or (new niche!) Itanium.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post

NetBSD is the supposedly portable one, yet it's not available for ppc64le, RISC-V, or (new niche!) Itanium.
          Then what is the ia64 port for if not for Itanium. I saw it in the ftp site where you get the images and they have an ia64 one.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Then what is the ia64 port for if not for Itanium. I saw it in the ftp site where you get the images and they have an ia64 one.
            But here https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/ they say there's no release for IA64

Comment

Working...
            X