helloSystem Publishes New Experimental Build Based On FreeBSD 14.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helloSystem Publishes New Experimental Build Based On FreeBSD 14.0

Phoronix: helloSystem Publishes New Experimental Build Based On FreeBSD 14.0

The macOS-inspired, FreeBSD-based helloSystem open-source operating system has published a new experimental build based on the fresh FreeBSD 14.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the Wayland situation nowadays in the BSD world?

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
      On FreeBSD not so bad, wlroots based compositors or KDE were reported to work fine. No idea about other BSDs.

However you won’t get Wayland in this project, it was created by probonopd which is known for his anti Wayland sentiment.

Comment

I miss PC-BSD, I thought it was such a great OS.

This line is funny:

The helloSystem project aims to be the "macOS of BSDs"
        Since Mac OS is based on BSD and so it would be the Mac OS of BSDs or what BSD could be with a few billion dollars invested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Since Mac OS is based on BSD and so it would be the Mac OS of BSDs or what BSD could be with a few billion dollars invested in it.
          Shit license shit outcome. Not to mention mac os is trash.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
            Even if it were a thing on BSD, HelloSystem wouldn't use it because the guy that makes it clueless about it. He has a long running thread encouraging people to boycott Wayland. Among his reasons?

That Qt needs a Wayland plugin to support Wayland...
            And that OBS (whose Github he was banned from) can't capture under Wayland without "workarounds"... like pipewire.

He also believes that Wayland can't replace X11 unless it's designed in a way where X11 applications can become Wayland applications without any changes at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
              Not to mention mac os is trash.
              To be fair, he doesn't like macOS either. He believes that computing was what it should have been in like 2002 so Hello System is like OSX circa that time period... but worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

To be fair, he doesn't like macOS either. He believes that computing was what it should have been in like 2002 so Hello System is like OSX circa that time period... but worse.
                oh my God, the OSX with horrible performance!?! I have had the misfortune of using the eMacs and heck, they were appalling. Slow as a snail and prone to crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Exactly. I don't know, why phoronix articles are still mentioning modern macOs, when the author wants to recreate simplicity and familiarity of the past

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

oh my God, the OSX with horrible performance!?! I have had the misfortune of using the eMacs and heck, they were appalling. Slow as a snail and prone to crash.
                    The creator of HelloSystem is the guy who made AppImage and he uses them all over the OS so if two applications use a lot of the same libraries, there will be two copies of those libraries in RAM.

Also the desktop UI is just two client applications running on top of a KDE X11 session. For example, the desktop icons and background are just PCManFM (I think I got the name right) and the top bar is a separate application called Menu. By default, each folder opens in a new window with no address bar or navigation just like really old Macs.

The application launching menu also shows a bunch of applications, but clicking on most of them just provides a prompt for you to download and install them. The last time I tried, I couldn't figure out how to remove them from the menu so it always stays polluted with apps.

One of the applications is OBS but the reason there isn't official OBS AppImage support is because he and a few others who were responsible with adding support refused to fix any of the issues the maintainers brought up or answer any of their concerns. Then he complained about it until he got banned from the Gitlab. In other words, I don't have much trust in the OBS AppImage and I think the last time I tried launching it, it crashed.

It's a cute little OS still, but not very functional and knowing the mind behind it doesn't engender any hope in me that it will ever become anything more than that.

To quote Probo (the creator of HelloSystems) from just one hour ago: "For me personally, I'd be super happy if any open source desktop today matched 1990s Mac usability (disclaimer: I grew up with this stuff, so to me, it is the reference against everything else gets measured). Imho nothing even comes close, more than 30 years later."
                    Last edited by Myownfriend; 10 February 2024, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X