Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 14.0 Is Delivering Great Performance Uplift & Running Well In Early Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 14.0 Is Delivering Great Performance Uplift & Running Well In Early Tests

Phoronix: FreeBSD 14.0 Is Delivering Great Performance Uplift & Running Well In Early Tests

Following last week's release of FreeBSD 14.0, I've begun testing out this major FreeBSD operating system update on a number of servers. What's clear so far is the performance being much improved with FreeBSD 14.0 on modern x86_64 Intel/AMD servers over FreeBSD 13.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's very interesting. I'm curious to see how it compares to Linux. 😉

Comment

Looking for FreeBSD 14 vs Linux benchmark...

Comment

Thanks for the benchmarks! Nice to see overall improvements. Some "diehards" like to poo-poo anything outside of Linux, but I like to see some diversity of projects, and honestly, people are free to work on what they want to work on. It is not the like BSDs just popped onto the scene. There are pros and cons, but the "FreeBSD as a complete system" has some benefits - you know what you are getting. I might not want to use FreeBSD for a daily-driver desktop, but I can see its use for various server scenarios. As I've mentioned before, and I have no vested interest in saying this, we are running a FreeBSD based (13.1-RELEASE-p9 to be exact) iXsystems TrueNAS, and so far so good. ZFS is part to the OS by default, Samba provides all the integration we need with existing infrastructure, etc. To summarize, I get that some people have a thing against the BSDs, but happy myself to see them improve and serve their niche.

Comment

Thanks SO MUCH Michael for these! This is the kind of stuff I pay for Phoronix for. Nice to see just how much the generational uplift is for the 13.x series to the 14.x series.

Comment

Congrats to the FreeBSD devs... I like FreeBSD a lot. I even put it into production once ("If Yahoo does it, why can't we?")

Comment

Thanks for the benchmarks, Michael.

Comment

FreeBSD vs Linux benchmark when ;3

Comment

It seems clang 16.0.6 did the job.

Comment

Impressive..., congrats FreeBSD devs and Michael for the benchmark.

Comment

Working...
                    X