Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 14.0 Is Delivering Great Performance Uplift & Running Well In Early Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post
    It seems clang 16.0.6 did the job.
    Most if definitely not.

Leave a comment:

• darkoverlordofdata
    replied
    Good! Speaking as a desktop user, 13, especially 13.2, has been a terrible experience. Hopefully version 14 doesn’t have so many issues - I hope it could only get better.

Leave a comment:

• varikonniemi
    replied
    Absurd performance increases in 50% of tests.... Either v13 was still really half-baked code quality, or they made some new discovery in computer science that will put Linux out of business.

Leave a comment:

• TurBo_biT
    replied
    Impressive..., congrats FreeBSD devs and Michael for the benchmark.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    It seems clang 16.0.6 did the job.

Leave a comment:

• vextium
    replied
    FreeBSD vs Linux benchmark when ;3

Leave a comment:

• unwind-protect
    replied
    Thanks for the benchmarks, Michael.

Leave a comment:

• mercster
    replied
    Congrats to the FreeBSD devs... I like FreeBSD a lot. I even put it into production once ("If Yahoo does it, why can't we?")

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Thanks SO MUCH Michael for these! This is the kind of stuff I pay for Phoronix for. Nice to see just how much the generational uplift is for the 13.x series to the 14.x series.

Leave a comment:

• ehansin
    replied
    Thanks for the benchmarks! Nice to see overall improvements. Some "diehards" like to poo-poo anything outside of Linux, but I like to see some diversity of projects, and honestly, people are free to work on what they want to work on. It is not the like BSDs just popped onto the scene. There are pros and cons, but the "FreeBSD as a complete system" has some benefits - you know what you are getting. I might not want to use FreeBSD for a daily-driver desktop, but I can see its use for various server scenarios. As I've mentioned before, and I have no vested interest in saying this, we are running a FreeBSD based (13.1-RELEASE-p9 to be exact) iXsystems TrueNAS, and so far so good. ZFS is part to the OS by default, Samba provides all the integration we need with existing infrastructure, etc. To summarize, I get that some people have a thing against the BSDs, but happy myself to see them improve and serve their niche.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X