GTK Support For macOS Potentially Moving Back To "Best Effort" Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sadoon_albader View Post

I am talking about the menu bar at the top of the windows, like we've been used to for over 30 years. It was replaced with the hamburger menu.
    I don't want to use a custom theme. I want my UI to look proper without custom theming, to just work. and default theming in GTK4 makes buttons huge.
    GTK 4 still has menu bars. If an app uses a hamburger menu, that's their decision, not GTK's. I can agree the widgets are large by default because of the default theme.

Example: GTK 4 port of LibreOffice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bjvs-gcft8

Comment

Tbh, i have an MacBook Pro 16 m2 max with 32gb ram and the new MacBook Air 15.
      Im in love with the Air 15, but that's off topic:-)

​​​​​​And im an System administrator in a relatively big company.

What i want to say is, it's not that im an Apple fan, im in Love with Linux either...
      But tbh, for what we need gtk on Mac...

Im absolutely happy with Terminal and iterm, every other Mac app, if you aren't a Video Editor is anyway entertainment:-)
      Basically you can't do anyway much with Marcos other as surfing/terminal and photo/video editing.

So i won't miss GTK there anyway.

And if so, get parallels and install the linux distribution of your likings :-)

Comment

You said what I was thinking.
        ​​​​The worst GUI toolkit by a long shot. Trying so hard to be touch friendly while not achieving good usability on touch or desktop.
        GTK2/3 were okay, GTK4 belongs in the trash.

Edit: didn't mean to sound so negative, it's just the way it is. They need to revamp the whole thing because they honestly have some really good software otherwise.
        What's wrong with GTK4?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I.e Win32 port barely manages to provide compiled binaries and that is far more widely used than macOS.
          It is trivially easy to build GTK4 on windows. You only need Microsoft's compiler for the command line and meson. Maybe also git, I don't recall. It automatically downloads all dependencies and builds them.

Comment

I am talking about the menu bar at the top of the windows, like we've been used to for over 30 years. It was replaced with the hamburger menu.
            No, it wasn't. You can still have traditional menus in gtk4. Just most Gnome apps decide not to.

GTK 4 tutorial for beginners. Contribute to ToshioCP/Gtk4-tutorial development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
            X