No announcement yet.

GTK Support For macOS Potentially Moving Back To "Best Effort" Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This website is so obsessed with all things Mac. Michael probably secretly wishes he had started the Cult of Mac website or the Mac Rumors website instead.

But instead of building his own cult following of free spending Mac sheeple, he's stuck with us.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      This website is so obsessed with all things Mac. Michael probably secretly wishes he had started the Cult of Mac website or the Mac Rumors website instead.

But instead of building his own cult following of free spending Mac sheeple, he's stuck with us.
      Hah. He was probably trying to bait us to think "Oh no, if macOS is becoming unsupported, perhaps that will happen to X11 one day too in favour of Wayland".

I feel the bait failed because Gtk support has always just been mashed in by whoever needs it and will continue to do so. If relatively small communities like Haiku can do it, then anyone will

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
        Maybe Microsoft will step up and maintain this, since visualstudio for mac is made with GTK.
        They are fine with their internal fork. Like they did with Edge, Electron, VS Code etc.

Comment

Well, that's no surpise, as they never even cared for migration from gtk2 to gtk3 or anything else than Gnome, most applications moved away from gtk anyway. So nobody will miss macOS support, as there is nothing interesting to be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by sadoon_albader View Post

You said what I was thinking.
            ​​​​The worst GUI toolkit by a long shot. Trying so hard to be touch friendly while not achieving good usability on touch or desktop.
            GTK2/3 were okay, GTK4 belongs in the trash.

Edit: didn't mean to sound so negative, it's just the way it is. They need to revamp the whole thing because they honestly have some really good software otherwise.
            Everyone keeps saying "wahh GTK 4 bad" and yet no one ever gives any real reason why. Sounds like ignorant hearsay to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

Everyone keeps saying "wahh GTK 4 bad" and yet no one ever gives any real reason why. Sounds like ignorant hearsay to me.
              But I literally gave my reasons

It's trying to be touch friendly and giving desktop users the backseat. Every button is huge and it's unusable on a regular desktop or laptop.

Compare that to qt5 for example where buttons are sized adequately, menus still exist (rocket science, I know) and scaling is almost perfect.

Comment

But I literally gave my reasons

It's trying to be touch friendly and giving desktop users the backseat. Every button is huge and it's unusable on a regular desktop or laptop.

Compare that to qt5 for example where buttons are sized adequately, menus still exist (rocket science, I know) and scaling is almost perfect.
                GTK 4 has menus, so I'm not sure what you're on about. Widget size is determined by theme. Are you confusing GTK 4 with libadwaita (very common mistake)?

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

GTK 4 has menus, so I'm not sure what you're on about. Widget size is determined by theme. Are you confusing GTK 4 with libadwaita (very common mistake)?
                  I am talking about the menu bar at the top of the windows, like we've been used to for over 30 years. It was replaced with the hamburger menu.
                  I don't want to use a custom theme. I want my UI to look proper without custom theming, to just work. and default theming in GTK4 makes buttons huge.

Comment

I am talking about the menu bar at the top of the windows, like we've been used to for over 30 years. It was replaced with the hamburger menu.
                    I don't want to use a custom theme. I want my UI to look proper without custom theming, to just work. and default theming in GTK4 makes buttons huge.
                    GTK has always had too much whitespace. I remember how I used to use a modified theme named Clearlooks Compact in the GTK+ 2.x era.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

GTK has always had too much whitespace. I remember how I used to use a modified theme named Clearlooks Compact in the GTK+ 2.x era.
                      I've been using GTK2 and GTK3 for the past decade and it's not even close. Even so it doesn't make things any better in terms of UX to waste screen real estate.

Comment

Working...
                      X