GTK Support For macOS Potentially Moving Back To "Best Effort" Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK Support For macOS Potentially Moving Back To "Best Effort" Approach

Phoronix: GTK Support For macOS Potentially Moving Back To "Best Effort" Approach

The GTK toolkit and GLib support for Apple's macOS may be taking a back-seat to other platforms moving forward and would fall into a "best effort" category...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is good ! MacOs doesn't care about Linux ecosystem (or any other ecosystem !), so why bother ? This will help developpers to concentrate to other (more interesting) task because fixing compatibility issues every 6 months is not really "fun" for a developper... MacOs doesn't care for others, they always break compatibilities (as an example, try to find a wifi dongle working on Mac... spoiler alert, you won't find any since Big Sur update and this is just an example !).
    Last edited by Murdock; 14 July 2023, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Yeah that sounds like a sound decision. If apple doesn't want their support, it shouldn't have to take effort the other way around. They could just drop support for it if it saves them work and money

Comment

Many less funded gui toolkit (such as iced) support macOS or windows very well.
        Not keeping top notch multi platform support is a bad thing.
        If I am correct, it’s redhat that support gnome devs mostly. 34 Billions from IBM and not even a mid level dev position to ensure gtk is on working great on MacOS?

Comment

Whilst not GTK, I use the Qt based Kiff3 all the time on my work Mac. I don't have a choice about the OS, but I do have a choice about which apps I use and I absolutely use open source stuff whenever possible. Kdiff3 really makes merge conflicts so much easier to deal with

There isn't an aarch64 version yet so I used Craft to build it natively on the machine

Thankfully the Devs still care

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
            If I am correct, it’s redhat that support gnome devs mostly. 34 Billions from IBM and not even a mid level dev position to ensure gtk is on working great on MacOS?
            GTK isn't really known for its cross-platform (or even cross-desktop support).

The only GTK app I use on macOS is Meld and you can tell by far it isn't a native app, but its functionality and form is superb.

Comment

No sane macOS developer will be stupid enough to use GTK when Cocoa and Swift is *the* way to build macOS graphical software.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                No sane macOS developer will be stupid enough to use GTK when Cocoa and Swift is *the* way to build macOS graphical software.
                It's about porting posix apps to mac, not creating an mac only app...

Comment

I know right? I love using apps based on iced on macos, this project is really established, like almost all my workflow apps is served by this project. From office to raster editing, and vector graphic. It only missed 2d cad software which is vital for my job, but I'm fine with it, I understand it's difficult to build and maintain such software

Comment

It's about porting posix apps to mac, not creating an mac only app...
                    So using a native toolkit means you can't do cross-platform? Wrong. Of course you use each platform's native toolkit. It will be more expensive and take more time, but it certainly is possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X