Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD In Q2-2022: More Than 30k Ports, Driver Improvements, Better Linux Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Why don't they just move to Linux instead?
    Most FreeBSD (Unix) usage is corporate - for example, Netflix uses it. It predates Linux by about a decade, and it's firmly entrenched. Many will tell you it's more stable than Linux - I know that I prefer it - if only more linux apps were compatible I would totally switch.

It costs a lot to migrate to another system, and companies need a compelling reason to switch. And if you work at one of these companies on the 'care and feeding' of Unix servers, you'll want a compatible desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post

Most FreeBSD (Unix) usage is corporate...
      Is YouTube Academy the source of those compelling and relevant information about FreeBSD?

Comment

Most FreeBSD (Unix) usage is corporate - for example, Netflix uses it. It predates Linux by about a decade, and it's firmly entrenched. Many will tell you it's more stable than Linux - I know that I prefer it - if only more linux apps were compatible I would totally switch.

It costs a lot to migrate to another system, and companies need a compelling reason to switch. And if you work at one of these companies on the 'care and feeding' of Unix servers, you'll want a compatible desktop.
        The first FreeBSD release was in late 1993. FreeBSD was based upon 386BSD which was released in 1992. 386BSD was a port of BSD Net-2 to the 386 processor. BSD Net-2 was released in 1991. Maybe you could stretch FreeBSD's direct path back to BSD Net-1 which was release in 1989. Linus released the first version of the Linux kernel in 1991. The first Linux distributions were released in 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Is YouTube Academy the source of those compelling and relevant information about FreeBSD?
          Nope. I worked in corporate IT for over 40 years. About 20 years on Unix, then a decade migrating Unix shops to NT, then the final decade migrating NT shops to linux.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Why don't they just move to Linux instead?
            Why doesn't Linux move to BSD instead? I mean: technically, BSD predates Linux, so if anything should move it'd be Linux.

(I've never really used BSD and I'm a Linux user, so don't came at me Linux users. I'm just stating a fact to uid313.)

Comment

Nope. I worked in corporate IT for over 40 years. About 20 years on Unix, then a decade migrating Unix shops to NT, then the final decade migrating NT shops to linux.
              In practice you made the history!

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Actually many of those are unmaintained
                It is a testament to how many good ports just work TM without needing any maintenance at all! If the world wasn't so full of people thinking a Unix-like automatically meant Linux then maybe it would be easier to upstream things but with some projects openly hostile to alternative operating systems life is hard. Looking at you Chromium from an OpenBSD perspective because they won't upstream OpenBSD specific changes.

FreeBSD is the best operating system on the planet other than for security where it lose out to OpenBSD and both are way more secure than a typical Linux install. If you need the youtube video of the conference where that was stated it is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvSPqo3_3vM&t=85s
                Security goes like this microkernel OSes, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux, MacOS, Windows

Comment

Many will tell you it's more stable than Linux
                  Yeah, right. Many will tell you opposite. Linux is much more tested than FreeBSD has ever been.
                  Last edited by Volta; 09 August 2022, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    FreeBSD is the best operating system on the planet
                    In your dreams.

other than for security where it lose out to OpenBSD and both are way more secure than a typical Linux install. Security goes like this microkernel OSes, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux, MacOS, Windows
                    If you only had idea what you're talking about. FreeBSD is one of the the least secure OSes. It was proven to you many times, but as a fanboy you have to pollute this thread with your clueless fanboism. Microkernels and security is another myth. Same kernel maybe, but in workable environment like Linux distribution I doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Why doesn't Linux move to BSD instead? I mean: technically, BSD predates Linux, so if anything should move it'd be Linux.
                      The same reason Linux doesn't move to C64.

Comment

Working...
                      X