No announcement yet.

Astounding Progress Made In Porting Wine To Haiku For Running Windows Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astounding Progress Made In Porting Wine To Haiku For Running Windows Software

Phoronix: Astounding Progress Made In Porting Wine To Haiku For Running Windows Software

Haiku as the open-source operating system in development for two decades as the inspirational successor to BeOS is kicking off 2022 by.... beginning to be able to run Windows applications via Wine. There is great progress being made in porting Wine to running on Haiku...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Year of the haiku desktop

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      Year of the haiku desktop
      Actually the way HaikuOS is developed it's a lot more probable than the year of Linux on the desktop even though Haiku receives a one thousandth of resources poured into it.

Comment

Doesn't Haiku run everything as root? Can't wait for Ransomware to hit the platform via WINE…

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Actually the way HaikuOS is developed it's a lot more probable than the year of Linux on the desktop even though Haiku receives a one thousandth of resources poured into it.
          One way I think Haiku can potentially be more successful than Linux on the desktop is because it doesn't have a gazillion ways to distribute packages, with each way having its own share of downsides (fixed release, rolling release, PPA's Snaps, Flatpacks, etc). I mean I was lately thinking about it and tbh the package distribution situation on Linux is kinda dire imo if you compare it to other operating systems.
          Last edited by user1; 01 January 2022, 09:52 AM.

Comment

What this OS needs
            Is to run Windows software
            To make it unique

Comment

Actual progress on the actual alternative to Windows and macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by awesz View Post
                Actual progress on the actual alternative to Windows and macOS.
                I'm curious how you arrived at that conclusion. I've seen it as mostly just another failed alternative OS.
                Hell, it was a failure the first time around 20+ years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

One way I think Haiku can potentially be more successful than Linux on the desktop is because it doesn't have a gazillion ways to distribute packages, with each way having its own share of downsides (fixed release, rolling release, PPA's Snaps, Flatpacks, etc). I mean I was lately thinking about it and tbh the package distribution situation on Linux is kinda dire imo if you compare it to other operating systems.
                  Yep.
                  If gnu / linux / freedesktop was merged into one foundation that agrees on ONE OS, made the best possible, with high quality unified tech, it could be the most used desktop OS in the world.
                  Bit everyone fight for its land so in the end, it’s a engineer fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                    What this OS needs
                    Is to run Windows software
                    To make it unique
                    Even as a long-term Linux user, I have one Windows app that I use frequently. I really like where Haiku is going, so a full-time switch at some point means that I do need Wine. I don't care about being unique, I just want a good OS that runs software that I actually use.

Comment

Working...
                    X