Astounding Progress Made In Porting Wine To Haiku For Running Windows Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Now if MS would please come to their senses and release MS Office for Linux I would be in heaven, ideally if it had VBA included that would be even better.
    There are packages that are equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Android is the most popular and used OS in the world right now with over a million of applications. I would love Linux/GNU to be the same crap.
      Oh dear, Android is the most used OS in the world just because people basically DON'T have any choices: just pick one of iOS and Android, so... guess what? Android is slightly less restricting your home environment, so people feel it to be slightly better. But it is not a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

One way I think Haiku can potentially be more successful than Linux on the desktop is because it doesn't have a gazillion ways to distribute packages, with each way having its own share of downsides (fixed release, rolling release, PPA's Snaps, Flatpacks, etc). I mean I was lately thinking about it and tbh the package distribution situation on Linux is kinda dire imo if you compare it to other operating systems.
        When you compare it to other operating systems.... windows doesnt' have real package management and neither does macos...

Solaris and the BSD all have unix style package managers.

Haiku's package management added a ton of memory overhead, as well as complexity and introdueced nonsensical "non-packaged" folders were you have to relocate writable config files instead of the normal config file locations remaining writable and the read only ones only showing up if the the writable ones don't exist. Basically horrible design decisions because ... it was just left up to one developer or two essentially without any code quality vetting hierarchy like Linux has.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Do you think Toyota Corolla is the best car, and everyone should drive one because of "unification"?
          Actually, skilled and experienced car guys/mechanics really hate when cars use weird, specific or proprietary parts instead of just using standard parts that use accessible tools. It would be nice if the Linux ecosystem started getting it's shit together too, especially with package managers.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

And a lot of new distros are created cause someone hate systemd
            You mean the 3 that nobody uses?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Actually, skilled and experienced car guys/mechanics really hate when cars use weird, specific or proprietary parts instead of just using standard parts that use accessible tools. It would be nice if the Linux ecosystem started getting it's shit together too, especially with package managers.
              Yeah, I know that, and I myself hate it even more because I would like to repair my car, but it has been made unnecessary complicated. I don't get paid of repairing my car, the mechanics do, so they actually profit that you need disassemble half of the engine bay to replace some belt. They can hate it because of stupid unnecessary complicated work, but they get paid to do it. 30 euro part + 500 euro work. Especially official brand service centers profit of that, which I believe is one reason to make sure that regular maintenance items require a ton of work to replace. Or at least not care a bit how much work some regular service item need. Also, when service is complicated and time consuming the customer is even more eager to pay 500 euro just to get that damned belt changed. Maybe I am paranoid, but capitalism try to maximize profits, and that car industry will surely try to do in any way they can. Not blaming capitalism though, it is good thing, people themselves shape the capitalism to be abusive, like in car industry by not caring a bit how easy the maintenance of the car is.

That's it about cars. Back to operating systems. This Linux ecosystem is a very evolutionary project. We can compare this to the development of homo sapiens. As you know there were predecessors to homo sapiens, but eventually there was only homo sapiens and several other monkey species. Linux desktops are like pre humans were 500 000 years back in time of history. The evolutionary project of the desktop is in early to mid phase, with the Gnome being the most close to homo sapiens and KDE being the Neanderthal. And even more so since Gnome is almost like an offspring of KDE because of the QT libs issue back in time.

Development is going good as an evolutionary process. Some species, again that KDE and Gnome, are the most successful so far. Only time will show which will take lead or will some lesser species have some incoming miracle like surprises on the way.

When you have watched this process more than 20 years you will only smile, happily, how things has progressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                Isn't there a browser based version of Office?
                There is. It is absolute pants. Use it if you want to torture yourself.

Comment

Working...
                X