DragonFlyBSD Lands New EXT2/3/4 File-System Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    I can't really think of any other FS other than ZFS and FAT that is supported across so many OS's.
    you probably still live in a world without virtual machines

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      the only os where zfs is native is solaris
      Ok, granted. Should've said "mainstream."

Comment

I do in fact. I use jails.

Emulating hardware is for barbarians. lol

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
          Emulating hardware is for barbarians. lol
          Type 1 hypervisors share a kernel between all guest OSes, but they don't emulate hardware.

Type 2 hypervisors don't necessarily emulate hardware. You can pass through actual hardware to a virtual machine.

CPU virtualization also doesn't emulate anything. The whole point of VT-x and AMD-V is to run a virtualized system in a "ring -1" so that the guest OS can issue instructions to the CPU directly.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
            BSD isn't dead, but on life support, since corporations feed on it for their own needs and give fuck all back. "Freedom!," you scream.
            I respectfully disagree. OpenBSD is as innovative as ever and constantly evolving. NetBSD is slow in development because of lack of manpower but is still seeing improvements. FreeBSD has version 12.2 coming out this year with a new major version, version 13.0, coming out next year.

Comment

you are projecting
              it's a fact. it supports dozens of filesystems not invented in linux, i.e. there's no nih syndrome involved.
              that takes us back to my previous post: code doesn't write itself. if you need your fs to improve, you have to do it
              that's something that bsd idiots do
              because bsd idiots complain instead of writing code. i've already given you irix xfs example.

$ ls /lib/modules/5.7.8-200.fc32.x86_64/kernel/fs/ -1
              9p
              affs
              vboxsf
              xfs
              most common reason for startup failure is "no market need"
              You are projecting. Yeah, I am parroting, for a good reason. binfmt_misc.ko.xz, dlm, fscache, fuse,lockd,nls and pstore there are file systems since when exactly? Did you choose that sort of list - "oh look at that "fs" folder! There are so many!" - knowingly? I could go to full autopsy and also pick out ones which are obsolete and/or legacy file systems next to never used. That'd make whole bunch. Or shall you claim that support for file systems from Amiga, Plan 9, BeOS (among the first 5 in your listing) is really meaningful and important for ANYTHING except bragging rights?

Also seems your social skills are completely undeveloped (personal insults in the post yet again).

These "dozens of file systems" become reduced to having selection between 3-4 different file systems when you have to install actual Linux distro on some PC. Impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                Or shall you claim that support for file systems from Amiga, Plan 9, BeOS (among the first 5 in your listing) is really meaningful and important for ANYTHING except bragging rights?
                All of those were much more successful than any BSD has ever been. And now we have Haiku that, despite being developed under a permissive license similar to BSD, has advanced more in one decade than any of the BSDs did in two or three.
                Last edited by angrypie; 24 July 2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

All of those were much more successful than any BSD has ever been. And now we have Haiku that, despite being developed under a permissive license similar to BSD, has advanced more in one decade than any of the BSDs did in two or three.
                  Indeed? Last I tried Haiku, it didn't even run on my gaming rig. When I tried to run it on my older Haswell, it didn't have even proper web browser. For bunch of drivers it's depending on BSD.

Question. If you and pal666 dislike and hate BSD so bad, why you keep coming into BSD-related threads. It's like masochists enjoying self-inflicted pain. Or desperate fanboys trying to prove "their thing" is oh-so-much-superior.

Comment

Can be done elsewhere too. With technically better designed tooling sometimes (OmniOS comes to mind)

Comment

Indeed? Last I tried Haiku, it didn't even run on my gaming rig. When I tried to run it on my older Haswell, it didn't have even proper web browser. For bunch of drivers it's depending on BSD.
                      Last I tried DragonflyBSD, it didn't even boot in my old Athlon X2. Haiku is relying on FreeBSD for wifi drivers, probably a stopgap before they're able to do their own thing.

Of course, relying on BSD for drivers is like asking a beggar for money. Imagine using an OS that doesn't even allow per-core frequency scaling.

Question. If you and pal666 dislike and hate BSD so bad, why you keep coming into BSD-related threads. It's like masochists enjoying self-inflicted pain. Or desperate fanboys trying to prove "their thing" is oh-so-much-superior.
                      I keep coming here because you keep quoting me with your whining and I keep getting notifications. Stop being so triggered and I won't come back here again.

Comment

Working...
                      X