No announcement yet.

FreeBSD Getting Close To Finally Migrating Development From Subversion To Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Getting Close To Finally Migrating Development From Subversion To Git

Phoronix: FreeBSD Getting Close To Finally Migrating Development From Subversion To Git

The FreeBSD project has published their Q2'2020 status report that outlines their neat-complete work on migrating from Subversion to Git plus many hardware support improvements for this BSD operating system and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand why do people still use Subversion...

Comment

The FreeBSD project has published their Q2'2020 status report that outlines their neat-complete work
      Michael near-complete? also for shame tildearrow almost 3 hours and no correction ::shakes-head::

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Because they've been using it since before git existed and properly migrating a huge, decades-old SVN repository is a lot of work.

Comment

L.O.L.

Comment

They just don't git it.

Comment

How much RAM did they need to migrate from svn to git?

Comment

Not everyone has a quad-socket ThreadRipper Pro to migrate the repository with reposurgeon.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Not everyone has a quad-socket ThreadRipper Pro to migrate the repository with reposurgeon.
                  those are rookie numbers

Comment

For very small teams svnserve is fairly convenient. Being able to spin up a simple repo server is easier than sharing directories / keys over ssh or setting up a large gitlab instance.

Subversion also has a user management system by default, without needing ad-hoc hooks. For example in Git you can impersonate other users quite easily.
                    i.e https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...f-another-user

That said, I am fairly sure a "gitserve" would not be too hard to implement if enough people valued these features. It seems there isn't enough demand.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 16 July 2020, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X