X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by fuzz View Post

You obviously don't understand how git works. Having a few devs doesn't require a central server.
    We are a company, we want to have all the source code that all devs (including me) work on stored on a central server that is up to date at all times. What does that have to do with my knowledge of how git works?

Leave a comment:

• decuser
    replied
    How hilarious. I've used git and scm-manager as the web interface, on FreeBSD, for more than a decade, for my own repos. I don't mind svn, hg or rcs - can't stand CVS, but that's a rant for another day. But really, the main reason I use git is all of my repos get backed up from the FreeBSD instance and I can access it from any of the machines on my home network without bother. Git's easier to branch (in my opinion) and at this point the commands are hardwired in my fingers. in the last decade, I can count on one hand the number of issues I've had and all of them were user error.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
    Yeah but I need a central server (we are a few devs at work)
    You obviously don't understand how git works. Having a few devs doesn't require a central server.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

Git does not require a server. For many, setting up a server infrastructure is a million times harder than ad hoc repositories in local directories.
    Yeah but I need a central server (we are a few devs at work), so still explain to me how git is less complex than svn for me. That is the whole premise, I'm claiming that svn is less complex for my use case and I can see no benefits of git for my use case but still people are claiming that svn needs to die so please again explain or accept that git is not a fit for all (and neither is svn).

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I thought I was fairly clear that the Git ecosystem didn't have a light solution quite like svnserve. They don't exist. Either teams opt for massive web based setups (probably in ratty Docker images), scrape by with raw SSH or they simply use proprietary services like GitHub.
    You do you mean? The git wire protocol is pretty damn efficient compared to svn checkouts. Also git does not require a server. Just make the files available and use standard protocols.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Exactly how is subversion more complex than git? It's also harder to find people who prefer Linux over say Windows but since when has that stopped us?
    Git does not require a server. For many, setting up a server infrastructure is a million times harder than ad hoc repositories in local directories.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by matsukan View Post

You can choice another git servers which may fit for small teams more better than gitlab if you don't like use it.
    I thought I was fairly clear that the Git ecosystem didn't have a light solution quite like svnserve. They don't exist. Either teams opt for massive web based setups (probably in ratty Docker images), scrape by with raw SSH or they simply use proprietary services like GitHub.

Put it this way, I am more inclined to think that people who choose SVN are more likely to host their own servers than Git users. Even though GitHub for example provides both Svn and Git support.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied

Subversion is actually more complex. It's also harder to find people who prefer non-git solutions.
    Exactly how is subversion more complex than git? It's also harder to find people who prefer Linux over say Windows but since when has that stopped us?

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Let's be honest, the schools don't teach RCS, CVS, or SVN anymore.
    You are right. But they also don't teach C or C++ anymore which I also think is daft. However I actually find discussing old tech like CVS and SVN with interview candidates a good way to evaluate their skills. Only a veteran or real techie will know this older stuff. A kid or a fraud will only "know" new buzzwords.

Only some not so popular open source projects with a boomer as the BDFL might still.
    Popular means dirt to me in all fairness. Cloud crap is "popular" and so is Steam and DRM so it shows so many people are simply wrong. That said, I do appreciate the Git architecture (central servers like most package managers or NPM annoy me like DRM). I am looking forward to http://gameoftrees.org/ from the OpenBSD guys because I am sure it will be an even better Git.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 17 July 2020, 05:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

For very small teams svnserve is fairly convenient. Being able to spin up a simple repo server is easier than sharing directories / keys over ssh or setting up a large gitlab instance.

Subversion also has a user management system by default, without needing ad-hoc hooks. For example in Git you can impersonate other users quite easily.
    i.e https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...f-another-user

That said, I am fairly sure a "gitserve" would not be too hard to implement if enough people valued these features. It seems there isn't enough demand.
    Let's be honest, the schools don't teach RCS, CVS, or SVN anymore. Most new companies stick with git. Maybe some use mercurial. I haven't seen CVS/SVN for a long time. Only some not so popular open source projects with a boomer as the BDFL might still host CVS/SVN. Why? They don't bother migrating even though they most definitely use git in their daily job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X