FreeBSD Getting Close To Finally Migrating Development From Subversion To Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    freebsd quarterly status report consists of linux wifi, linux app compatibility, linux drm, linux zfs and linux git
    Yeah, we take the better bits, you can keep the telemetry, all the pieces donated by spyagencies and poetterware.

"linux zfs" has never been "linux's own" - it's under OpenZFS umbrella and was ported from Solaris to start with. It's not even been in the Linux's main kernel tree once. Wonderful how perspectives may shift for some, depending on topic. In some other threads you rage like a nutcase against zfs, it's bad, it's NIH.

linux app compatibility - history goes in circles. There was time when Linux had very basic BSD binary compatibility (386BSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSDi/386), not to mention SVr3/4, SCO Xenix V/386, Xenix 286 binary emulation (through iBCS2 and SVr4 APIs). Only hypocrite sneers over something "his camp" has done itself and much larger scale.

Linux drm - if it wasn't for AMD and Intel releasing Linux-specific code for you (MIT licensed, mind you, not GPL) - your GPU support would be much on par with BSD/Illumos. Linux has vendor-support advantage, it's for sure not kernel core devs service. Wanna see how far would linux devs get hacking and reverse engineering GPU's on their own then look at Nouveau - generally basic 2D and works better for older hardware.

linux wifi - W t Fuck are you even talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      "linux zfs" has never been "linux's own" - it's under OpenZFS umbrella and was ported from Solaris to start with.
      yeah but now it is the upstream the OpenZFS project, while the Illumos upstream has been re classified, and the only other noteworthy BSD using ZFS has folded under the former ZoL codebase.

It does not matter what it was in the past, it matters who owns it now.

Linux drm - if it wasn't for AMD and Intel releasing Linux-specific code for you (MIT licensed, mind you, not GPL) - your GPU support would be much on par with BSD/Illumos. Linux has vendor-support advantage,
      I think that was his point.

linux wifi - W t Fuck are you even talking about?
      from the article "Working to better leverage the Intel Linux WiFi driver code". Again it's a case of vendor support of course, like above.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

For very small teams svnserve is fairly convenient. Being able to spin up a simple repo server is easier than sharing directories / keys over ssh or setting up a large gitlab instance.

Subversion also has a user management system by default, without needing ad-hoc hooks. For example in Git you can impersonate other users quite easily.
        i.e https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...f-another-user

That said, I am fairly sure a "gitserve" would not be too hard to implement if enough people valued these features. It seems not
        You can choice another git servers which may fit for small teams more better than gitlab if you don't like use it. Or you can use git inly local machince if you do not want share your changes to antoher people.And SVN lack lots of features like signing each commits which clearly make better user tracking which on SVN never can do.

And SVN is dead man walking.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Because we have no use for a distributed version control and sometimes simpler is better.
          Subversion is actually more complex. It's also harder to find people who prefer non-git solutions.

Comment

For very small teams svnserve is fairly convenient. Being able to spin up a simple repo server is easier than sharing directories / keys over ssh or setting up a large gitlab instance.

Subversion also has a user management system by default, without needing ad-hoc hooks. For example in Git you can impersonate other users quite easily.
            i.e https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...f-another-user

That said, I am fairly sure a "gitserve" would not be too hard to implement if enough people valued these features. It seems there isn't enough demand.
            Let's be honest, the schools don't teach RCS, CVS, or SVN anymore. Most new companies stick with git. Maybe some use mercurial. I haven't seen CVS/SVN for a long time. Only some not so popular open source projects with a boomer as the BDFL might still host CVS/SVN. Why? They don't bother migrating even though they most definitely use git in their daily job.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Let's be honest, the schools don't teach RCS, CVS, or SVN anymore.
              You are right. But they also don't teach C or C++ anymore which I also think is daft. However I actually find discussing old tech like CVS and SVN with interview candidates a good way to evaluate their skills. Only a veteran or real techie will know this older stuff. A kid or a fraud will only "know" new buzzwords.

Only some not so popular open source projects with a boomer as the BDFL might still.
              Popular means dirt to me in all fairness. Cloud crap is "popular" and so is Steam and DRM so it shows so many people are simply wrong. That said, I do appreciate the Git architecture (central servers like most package managers or NPM annoy me like DRM). I am looking forward to http://gameoftrees.org/ from the OpenBSD guys because I am sure it will be an even better Git.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 17 July 2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Subversion is actually more complex. It's also harder to find people who prefer non-git solutions.
                Exactly how is subversion more complex than git? It's also harder to find people who prefer Linux over say Windows but since when has that stopped us?

Comment

Originally posted by matsukan View Post

You can choice another git servers which may fit for small teams more better than gitlab if you don't like use it.
                  I thought I was fairly clear that the Git ecosystem didn't have a light solution quite like svnserve. They don't exist. Either teams opt for massive web based setups (probably in ratty Docker images), scrape by with raw SSH or they simply use proprietary services like GitHub.

Put it this way, I am more inclined to think that people who choose SVN are more likely to host their own servers than Git users. Even though GitHub for example provides both Svn and Git support.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Exactly how is subversion more complex than git? It's also harder to find people who prefer Linux over say Windows but since when has that stopped us?
                    Git does not require a server. For many, setting up a server infrastructure is a million times harder than ad hoc repositories in local directories.

Comment

I thought I was fairly clear that the Git ecosystem didn't have a light solution quite like svnserve. They don't exist. Either teams opt for massive web based setups (probably in ratty Docker images), scrape by with raw SSH or they simply use proprietary services like GitHub.
                      You do you mean? The git wire protocol is pretty damn efficient compared to svn checkouts. Also git does not require a server. Just make the files available and use standard protocols.

Comment

Working...
                      X