WireGuard Ported To The OpenBSD Kernel - Looking For Upstream Inclusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WireGuard Ported To The OpenBSD Kernel - Looking For Upstream Inclusion

Phoronix: WireGuard Ported To The OpenBSD Kernel - Looking For Upstream Inclusion

With the WireGuard secure VPN tunnel having been upstreamed in the Linux 5.6 kernel, developer attention recently turned to OpenBSD and porting the very promising VPN technology to its kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been really impressed by how hard Jason Donenfeld has worked to get cross-platform support for Wireguard. He and his team have been very willing to jump through hoops to make a secure, cross-platform VPN a reality. That includes working with platform APIs, evaluating existing solutions (e.g. OpenVPN) for usable code, rewriting what doesn't work or isn't secure, and redoing patches that don't fit platform paradigms and standards. Even when they disagreed with the kernel on crypto APIs, they considered upstreaming a higher priority than winning the argument.

There are very few kernel- and system-level projects that are this willing to work with everyone, and I think it sets a new standard for implementations and cross-platform compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post
      I've been really impressed by how hard Jason Donenfeld has worked to get cross-platform support for Wireguard. He and his team have been very willing to jump through hoops to make a secure, cross-platform VPN a reality. That includes working with platform APIs, evaluating existing solutions (e.g. OpenVPN) for usable code, rewriting what doesn't work or isn't secure, and redoing patches that don't fit platform paradigms and standards. Even when they disagreed with the kernel on crypto APIs, they considered upstreaming a higher priority than winning the argument.

There are very few kernel- and system-level projects that are this willing to work with everyone, and I think it sets a new standard for implementations and cross-platform compatibility.
      Jason is amazing, positively overflowing with enthusiasm. Earlier on, I was playing with avahi and Pulseaudio over WireGuard, and he saw it on Twitter and just up and posted me a hundred WireGuard stickers from France. I just love it. The attitude is so productive as well. The result has been a high quality implementation on most full-size operating systems within a handful of years.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out, I'd say if OpenBSD accepts these patches it'll be accepted pretty much everywhere else too

Comment

I am looking forward for official FreeBSD support, it could be useful for likes of pfSense or FreeNas.

Comment

Good to hear

Comment

The first Wireguard based VPN Mesh is up and running at a startup called Tailscale now.

Tailscale is a zero config VPN for building secure networks. Install on any device in minutes. Remote access from any network or physical location.

Comment

now poor openbsd people will be less insecure

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                  It'll be interesting to see how this turns out, I'd say if OpenBSD accepts these patches it'll be accepted pretty much everywhere else too
                  everywhere else can't accept openbsd patches, they are compatible only with openbsd

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    everywhere else can't accept openbsd patches, they are compatible only with openbsd
                    I think they mean more along the lines of "if OpenBSD accepts it, it must be good" so it will gain better acceptance in other projects. Not that the OpenBSD patches will be usable anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                    X