DragonFlyBSD Pulls In The Radeon Driver Code From Linux 4.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    I don't think you understand this. Sony can get away with keeping their drivers for themselves, because the BSD-style license doesn't force them to release it. This is not about the drivers in Linux.
    It's completely irrelevant anyway. A driver for a PS4 serves zero purpose anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
      Other than a few stupid idiots no one wants it. Especially so for the NVIDIA garbage.
      That "garbage" has like 80+% market penetration..

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        I don't think you understand this. Sony can get away with keeping their drivers for themselves, because the BSD-style license doesn't force them to release it. This is not about the drivers in Linux.
        Idiots and their constant whining over Sony and BSD license.. I'd tell nicer but this repetitive idiotic bs is starting to piss me off. Rub 2 brain cells together before writing something?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          Idiots and their constant whining over Sony and BSD license.. I'd tell nicer but this repetitive idiotic bs is starting to piss me off. Rub 2 brain cells together before writing something?
          The worst part is I wasn't talking about licenses or any of that; only saying that BSD could be on par with Linux in regards to gaming/graphics/3D work/etc if it was shown some love in the driver department and just used the PS4 as an example of what BSD is capable of when given that love.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
            That "garbage" has like 80+% market penetration..
            Intel: 72%
            NVidia: 23%
            AMD: 5%

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The worst part is I wasn't talking about licenses or any of that; only saying that BSD could be on par with Linux in regards to gaming/graphics/3D work/etc if it was shown some love in the driver department and just used the PS4 as an example of what BSD is capable of when given that love.
              You haven't just shown how good BSD can be, you've also shown how badly things can go if you use permissive licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

It's completely irrelevant anyway. A driver for a PS4 serves zero purpose anywhere else.
                The code could be reused somewhere else. I assume Sony had access to GCN specs which allowed them to squeeze plenty of performance from that hardware, and that code could be reused for other GCN hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Intel: 72%
                  NVidia: 23%
                  AMD: 5%
                  Curious where you found those numbers... most of the numbers I see are more like:

Intel: 67.7%
                  NVidia: 16.3%
                  AMD 15.9%

AMD ships both integrated and discrete GPUs, and the iGPU volumes are growing fairly quickly AFAIK.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Curious where you found those numbers... most of the numbers I see are more like:

Intel: 67.7%
                    NVidia: 16.3%
                    AMD 15.9%

AMD ships both integrated and discrete GPUs, and the iGPU volumes are growing fairly quickly AFAIK.
                    I messed up by assuming Intel had the entire igpu market, so you may be right. Although your numbers also shift some of the share from nvidia -> amd compared to mine, which wouldn't be from igpus. Maybe it's a matter of looking at new sales vs overall userbase.

I was looking at the Q4 numbers from here and counting everything non-discrete as intel: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-amd-disc...4-2018-report/
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 19 July 2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Think again.

PS consoles aren't even using any graphics API's you could use on PC platform for Chrissakes. Sony consoles have their own proprietary graphics API's. Which would be completely worthless to have on PC because console games run much closer to the metal - there ain't endless possible mutations of possible hardware combinations like with PC, console hardware has very limited amount of differing configurations. Thus there's much less abstraction needed and Sony can squeeze out bit more performance from otherwise pretty weak hardware.

Let's add also ton of modifications Sony made into their version of OrbisOS, why do you think FreeBSD devs would accept any of these? Modifications done are fact, proven by guy who hacked his PS4 and found bunch of syscalls not available on FreeBSD kernel.

Now quit that whine about Sony for once, like I said it's idiotic. Brought out by sudden mental need to whine about something in BSD's.

Arguing about 80% or 72%? What's the point. Fact remains, "garbage Nvidia's" market penetration is massive, despite what some would like to think.
                      ​​​
                      ​​​

Comment

Working...
                      X