Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD Pulls In The Radeon Driver Code From Linux 4.4

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD Pulls In The Radeon Driver Code From Linux 4.4

While the Linux 4.4 kernel is quite old (January 2016), DragonFlyBSD has now re-based its AMD Radeon kernel graphics driver against that release. It is at least a big improvement compared to its Radeon code having been derived previously from Linux 3.19...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do they rebase to such and ancient version?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      Was just about to ask the same thing - thought they would have wanted to hit the latest LTS at the very least

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        They incrementally move forward. Simply pulling in the latest Linux Git would be a huge effort due to larger code-base and a lot more DRM interfaces to deal with. They used to stay only a number of releases behind upstream in Linux 3.x days but now is quite a ways behind so if they are to maintain that existing support they just need to keep moving forward incrementally.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've always wished the AMD open source team would work with some BSD out there. Nvidia has BSD and Solaris drivers and it would be smart for AMD to have at least BSD drivers for companies that use Nvidia+BSD for their computing purposes.

Or if Sony would contribute back. The PS4 has one hell of an AMD BSD driver and shows that BSD has real gaming capability when shown some TLC. Steam could probably be able to do something with BSD if it was on par with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            I've always wished the AMD open source team would work with some BSD out there. Nvidia has BSD and Solaris drivers and it would be smart for AMD to have at least BSD drivers for companies that use Nvidia+BSD for their computing purposes.

Or if Sony would contribute back. The PS4 has one hell of an AMD BSD driver and shows that BSD has real gaming capability when shown some TLC. Steam could probably be able to do something with BSD if it was on par with Linux.
            How is that BSD license working out for ya?

Let me drop a really hard one on people: GPL is the better license for business.

Rationale: It mitigates tragedy of commons.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

Let me drop a really hard one on people: GPL is the better license for business.

Hate to break it to you, but AMD's code in the Linux kernel is MIT licensed, not GPL. That's why DragonflyBSD (and others) can even do the work they are doing porting the drivers over rather than trying to rewrite them entirely. Here's an example:

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post

Hate to break it to you, but AMD's code in the Linux kernel is MIT licensed, not GPL. That's why DragonflyBSD (and others) can even do the work they are doing porting the drivers over rather than trying to rewrite them entirely. Here's an example:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/bl...mdgpu/amdgpu.h
                I don't think you understand this. Sony can get away with keeping their drivers for themselves, because the BSD-style license doesn't force them to release it. This is not about the drivers in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Other than a few stupid idiots no one wants it. Especially so for the NVIDIA garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

This is the dumbest comment I've seen in quite awhile. One idiot responding to another idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X