No announcement yet.

2017 Linux Laptop Survey Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

illwieckz Exactly my toughts , but really for older nvidia GPU's nouveau works quite well, as usual, for poor quality of nvidia free drivers there's only one who's guilty = manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I understand the Macbook Pros are nice, but don't people realize it's very overpriced? Kind of the reason for spending that much is the OS.
      I disagree, for the build quality and the battery life you get, MBP are not really overpriced compared to the competition (though personally I do dual-boot between MacOS and Linux - mostly because the battery life is way better in MacOS).

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
      I wonder how many votted Ubuntu because Kubuntu wasn't listed as a 1st level option
      I'm in that category

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
        Not surprising.
        My only laptop is a Nvidia/Intel laptop and my goodness the display problems it had were ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by joni200 View Post
          Michael could you post a link to the "raw" data?
          It would be interesting to post the data and let people discover correlations & associations. You could post those as another article.
          Last edited by coder; 07 July 2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I'd also suggest deviating from multiple-choice, for questions with numerical answers (e.g. display size and purchase price).

It would also be interesting to know whether people bought their newest Linux laptop: new, used, refurb, or re-purposed a disused non-linux laptop. This would give more insight into price and the answer given for which feature was valued most.

Comment

I'm really happy with my Lenovo Thinkpad 13. Everything "just worked".

Got it "open box" new on ebay, a few months back. Cost about $450 for 1920x1080 anti-glare screen, 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD, and 4 GB of RAM (as a single SO DIMM, oddly). Upgrading the RAM with another 4 GB was pretty straight-forward and cost me another $33.

CPU is only i3 (Skylake), but I might upgrade it to an i7, someday when I can get a cheap used one. It's supposedly a field-replaceable part!

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                It would also be interesting to know whether people bought their newest Linux laptop: new, used, refurb, or re-purposed a disused non-linux laptop.
                True. I always buy refurbished Thinkpads (because it has Trackpoint and is well manufactured but costs a lot, refurbished is not a problem thanks to good manufacturing). My only exception, an OLPC XO-1, was refurbished too.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  I'm really happy with my Lenovo Thinkpad 13. Everything "just worked".

Got it "open box" new on ebay, a few months back. Cost about $450 for 1920x1080 anti-glare screen, 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD, and 4 GB of RAM (as a single SO DIMM, oddly). Upgrading the RAM with another 4 GB was pretty straight-forward and cost me another $33.

CPU is only i3 (Skylake), but I might upgrade it to an i7, someday when I can get a cheap used one. It's supposedly a field-replaceable part!
                  Had a look at specs on the site http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...2TP2TX132E20GJ

CPU is soldered (like most laptops nowadays). On the flip side, even the i5 or i7 of that line (the ones whose name ends with "U") are basically all laptop i3 (dualcores with hyperthreading) just higher clocks. CPU power increase is not worth anywhere near the price increase, so you're better off with the cheaper one.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Uh... the 6700HQ didn't exist in 2014.
                    My bad, it's 4770 HQ.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                      My bad, it's 4770 HQ.
                      For those still wondering, the performance of the two mentioned processors is the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X