2017 Linux Laptop Survey Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    It's all soldered down, and laptop boards are made at once, not piecemeal. Soldering BGA stuff (like CPU and GPU) at industrial scale needs an oven and does stress the board and other components.

Either MSI sends them fully complete boards ready for assembly (so they mount them in the laptops while in their assembly lines) or MSI sent them only the schematics and Clevo is making also the boards themselves.

Even if MSI boards are going to be slightly different than Clevo's stock ones the Clevo factories are already making similar boards anyway, and I'm pretty sure they would be able to make relatively low amounts of boards for MSI gaming laptops for cheaper than MSI would pay if they had to set up that board manufacturing themselves.

It's not that MSI is unable to make their own boards, it's that Clevo has the infrastructure already in place, so they don't need to pay for that again.

Which is why Clevo is the actual manufacturer of laptops for many well-known brands. They can send over the schematics (and cash) and Clevo will set up production lines for them asking less that what would cost them to do the same in-house.
    The MSI GT663 and the equivalent Clevo did not have soldered on CPU's or GPU's, I know because I changed the fitted Nvidia card with another one.

Comment

Originally posted by DRanged View Post
      The MSI GT663 and the equivalent Clevo did not have soldered on CPU's or GPU's, I know because I changed the fitted Nvidia card with another one.
      Ah yeah the MXM GPU card. I've seen so little that I keep forgetting that high end laptops sometimes used them for GPUs, so they can save on board design (i.e. they make a single board for all the gaming laptops).

Nowadays you could still have the GPU on a MXM card, but the CPU is soldered down, like for example in the MSI GT75.

Comment

Working...
      X